?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21577 - 03/12/11 02:25 PM Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info
Alison Roberts Offline
UPSF Admiral

Loc: Grimes, IA
Hi, gang.

In light of what's been happening in Japan, we wanted to drop by with some updated info & links:

- Earthquakes, Tsunamis Strike Japan & Pacific - How You Can Help: http://stuf.it/hRynZJ
--> Links to both American and International Red Cross organizations and the Japan Society's dedicated earthquake releief fund added. (3/13/2011)

- Anime News Network is hosting a constantly-updated list of which anime/manga/gave industry members have checked in so far here: http://4NN.cx/58576

* Previous Anime Today guests who are based/travel frequently to and from Japan...

- Hiroko Yoda & Matt Alt (Ninja Attack! Yokai Attack!) are OK. If you've been watching CNN you've seen and heard Matt via their ongoing coverage and his video call with Anderson Cooper. You can also follow him via Twitter (@Matt_Alt)

- Patrick W. Galbraith (author of the Otaku Encylopedia) is also OK. (Confirmed via e-mail).

- Patrick Macias (editor of Otaku USA magazine, Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno) is currently in the U.S. You can follow him via Twitter (@Patrick_Macias)

I'll check back in on this thread throughout the weekend, so if you have any questions or concerns, we'll see them!

- Alison

Edited by Alison Roberts (03/13/11 03:36 PM)

Advertisement
#21579 - 03/13/11 01:51 PM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: Alison Roberts]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Thanks for posting the info.

It's always tragic to hear something like this happening. Having never been through an earthquake i can only imagine what it feels like. So if you come across any more encouraging info please keep us updated.

#21584 - 03/14/11 08:27 AM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: stargates]
baldylox Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Johns Island SC
I know two people living in Japan and both of them were well. One of them, the guy I stayed with in Osaka, was fine as they got no flooding but did see a few smaller quakes.

The other guy lives in Tokyo but further inland and away from most of the flooding. He said they did get some broken things around the house but nothing of any real consequence.

I was glad both of them were fine but I do feel bad for the people in more northern areas that got serious damages. Some pics I saw of the destruction just turned my stomach.

I've been thru a Cat 5 hurricane before and saw what it did firsthand. And that was NOTHING compared to this. I hope everyone affected can get back to a semi normal day soon.

Billy

#21590 - 03/14/11 08:35 PM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: baldylox]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

Loc: Overland Park, KS
I watched the news nearly all weekend. It's been a bit hard to take in the scope of it all. Japan is an extraordinarily resilient nation, and there's no doubt they'll get through this in the long-term, but it's impossible not to be overwhelmed with empathy as the grand scope of all that's happened becomes more and more apparent.

#21591 - 03/15/11 10:32 AM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: Tsunami3k]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
I found it hard to go to sleep Saturaday night. This has been in my thoughts ever since it first hit the news. My wife and I have included the The Japanese people in our prayers everyday. I'm glad to hear that funds are being quickly set up for disaster relief. I will want to know who I give my money to will use it wisely and not pocket it.
Both my daughter and my wife have friends in Japan. Luckily for them they both live near Osaka and are okay.

#21592 - 03/15/11 10:33 AM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: Tsunami3k]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
One disaster is enough, but getting hit with a quake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown all at once would tax any nation.

#21593 - 03/15/11 11:01 AM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: Stefanie]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
One disaster is enough, but getting hit with a quake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown all at once would tax any nation.

Well it's not a nuclear meltdown yet, but it's getting close to one.

#21599 - 03/16/11 03:30 PM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: joelgundam01]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Fukushima 50

I've read several articles about these workers over the past couple of days, and I naturally drew comparisons to our police officers and firefighters during the September 11, 2001 attacks. There's no telling how many others are currently answering the call of duty in other areas of Japan, and we'll probably never hear about most of them.

#21608 - 03/17/11 11:08 AM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
I've been learning what I can about these guys too. They are not only national, but world heroes. I am sure they will be honored in some way in the future. I just hope they don't get honored posthumously.

#22410 - 05/25/11 10:37 AM Re: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Info [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

NHK World - TEPCO: reactor damage includes holes

Originally Posted By: NHK
Reactors 1 through 3 at the plant suffered nuclear fuel meltdowns after the March 11th earthquake and tsunami. This is likely to have created holes and cracks at the bottom of the pressure vessels protecting the reactor cores and damaged the containment vessels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.