Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#29610 - 12/09/11 09:51 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
While I must admit that the post appocalyptic mutant infested wasteland of Fallout is a prefered atmosphere/environment/world, everything else about Skyrim is hands down far better.
You gain skill points by doing actions & you gain levels by gaining skill points, thus if you maximize your swordsmanship to 100 skill level you will cease acquiring skill points going toward a level up through swordsmanship alone; forcing you to start utilizing a different skill to gain points in and use toward leveling. Also there are apparently upwards of 70 levels to progress to and a character CAN acquire a skill level of 100 In every skill.
But of course you only get a perk every time you level up & there are far more perks available (that are available on perk-trees, so you will be forced to get some unpreffered perks on your way to getting some of the more badass ones) than what you will eventually achieve, so you've gotta be picky about which ones you choose. Sure, there's no harm in regretting a small handful of perks not perfectly having been thought out (perk-tree wise), but generally speaking, your perks are a pretty huge deal.

Unlike in fallout, you can store your perks until you are 100% ready to place them. (as you recall, in F3 you had to choose skill points and perks immediately upon leveling up.)

I'm level 31 and have probably about 10 to 13 perks waiting for me to be "certain about".

Advertisement
#29616 - 12/09/11 01:46 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Thanks for taking the time to go into detail.

Originally Posted By: Gevin
I would certainly recommend Skyrim over Batman (Arkham Asylum might be a good cheap investment for you)

That's high praise indeed, considering your high opinion of the Batman games.

The lag got a lot better with the last update, but (having gotten even further) its not perfect. Bethesda has announced intention to continue updating the game with patches to iron out the rough edges.

That's good to hear, and you're the second one who's said so. Another friend of mine on PSN (he's got 77 platinum trophies, so he's been around the block a few times) told me he was having no problems to speak of since the latest patch, and even before the patch, all he had to do was quit the game and reload his save file to stop the frame rate and lag-related problems. Now, he doesn't have to do that, even after being in the game for hours at a time. I'm still seeing a few complaints online, but if friends I actually play with say the game is running smoothly, that carries more weight.

Me, I'm playing a destruction magic Mage (which isn't really the strongest build of character, but it is a lot of fun!)

I always start off as a mage (Dragon Age, Demon's Souls), so I'm glad to know that's a fun way to go in Skyrim. Can mages use melee weapons and vice versa, or is your character locked into a particular "class behavior" based on your initial choice? Is it like Fallout, so that you can attribute points to skills any way you want? I assume that you purchase or pick up weapons along the way, as in Fallout, but how do you learn different spells?

Unlike in fallout, you can store your perks until you are 100% ready to place them. (as you recall, in F3 you had to choose skill points and perks immediately upon leveling up.)

Great! I hated being forced to use perk choices at certain levels in Fallout.

I can't believe that I'm considering buying another Bethesda game, but it's very tempting.

#29639 - 12/09/11 04:26 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

There are practically a dozen races to choose from when you start your character, each supposedly specializes in different play styles. Luckily whichever character you are doesn't really hold any long term weight (other than that some people are racist toward other races), anybody can be a Mage and anyone can be a swordsman or archer.
You gain skill by using the skill. So if I cast a spell, I gain skill in that field (of course you'll only gain the skill if it is an effective spell,.. So casting fireballs into the night sky does nothing, but casting a fireball at a bandit gives you skill points.)
All gained skill points (aside from counting toward their individual skills) go toward an overall gained level exp. Gain a level and you can increase stamina, mana, or health bar, you get a perk, and enemies in some areas scale in difficulty to match your level.

So while grinding exp out of swordsmanship will only give me skill in swords,.. I can choose to put my perks anywhere (whether that be alchemy, archery, or whatever.)

You can either find spell books or purchase them. ..you'll probably have to buy most of them.
Every human enemy will have a weapon of some sort to drop, so weapons are too plentiful. They won't always be good, you'll have to hunt down the best treasure/weapons, or smith them up yourself.
Perks in magic will make mana requirements less, spells do more damage, or various other stat perks.

#29667 - 12/10/11 10:50 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct

The lag got a lot better with the last update, but (having gotten even further) its not perfect.
Bethesda has announced intention to continue updating the game with patches to iron out the rough edges.
I'd say the time to invest is now. I would certainly reccomend Skyrim over Batman (Arkham Asylum might be a good cheap investment for you)
One reason why, although i do want it, i'll wait for the GOTY version. I've got the GOTY versions of the previous two games and can't really complain about anything really major on them.

IMO Morrowind had much more to do in it than Oblivion despite the latter one having better graphics. So far as you can tell, is there plenty of quests as are the norm for the game of have they cut back compared to Oblivion?

#29676 - 12/10/11 11:54 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I didn't like Oblivion too horribly much and didn't play enough of it to compare and contrast the two

#29693 - 12/10/11 02:03 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Agatho52 Offline
UPSF Ensign

My Favorite Rpgs in order from favorite to least favorite

1.Persona 3 Fes
2.Persona 4
3.Diablo 2
4.Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
5.Torchlight

#29925 - 12/15/11 09:09 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

There are practically a dozen races to choose from when you start your character, each supposedly specializes in different play styles.

Thanks. I've browsed the online wiki and watched a few videos, so I see what you're saying. I'll probably try to finish my last few trophies on Fallout: NV, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age 2 before taking on another game of that scope. Speaking of Fallout: NV, I probbaly won't bother with the DLC. I just want to complete everything in the main game.

Also, I need to get a new hard drive for my PS3, because I'm running out of space. Right now, I can't play any new game that requires a partial installation.

#29936 - 12/15/11 11:30 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Delete old installs?

#30000 - 12/16/11 11:21 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Nope. I still play those old games, and some of the partial installations take so long (Metal Gear Solid), that I'm not willing to sit through them more than once (well, twice... YLOD!). Plus, several are non-disc games from the PSN store, such as Pac-Man and Space Invaders, so they can't go. They're relatively small, but I have quite a few of them.

A large part of my space is taken up by my multiple saves of RPGs. 5MB to 15MB per save file doesn't seem like much, until you have a hundred or so. I typically keep saves at points in the story that are major events and/or amusing situations, such as blowing up Megaton in Fallout 3 and the Landsmeet in Dragon Age: Origins, so I can revisit them whenever I want. Even if I deleted some things, it would only postpone the necessity for a new hard drive. I need to get a 1TB drive and be done with it.

#30141 - 12/19/11 09:44 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Animefangirl21 Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: QLD, Australia
Persona 3 FES
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4
Grandia
Star Ocean :the First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.