?
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#48923 - 02/28/13 10:54 AM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: BWBODDY]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
Those worked out to be $10 a piece, and that is a good deal.

Nice!

But unless something major happens, I just do stuff like upgrade the Buttstock, Sights, Picatinny Rail, forward grip, that kind of stuff.

Same here. ARs are great for accessorizing. That's also true of my Beretta CX4 (.45 ACP), which I think of as my "Barbie Doll" or "Mall Ninja" carbine. I try to keep my real (real = rifle caliber) rifles relatively practical, but I have all sorts of "tacticool" junk for my CX4... barrel shrouds, extra rails, bipod, red dot sight, laser sight, dual cocking handles, vertical grips... lots of fun, but hardly necessary. That little carbine just begs to be dressed up. smile

Iíve got a lot of Ammo, for the AR and M 1, but Iím hesitant about going to the Range and shooting it up, and not being able to re-purchase.

A lot of us are in the same boat. I try to keep a certain amount on hand at all times, and buy ammo each time I go shooting, using the old stuff and keeping the new. It's hard to do that right now. Even rounds that aren't normally in high demand, like .25 ACP, .50 AE, and .500 S&W, are usually sold out. Why go shooting if I can't fire my Desert Eagle? wink

...the Bersa Thunder 380 plus (the "Plus" part means it's the 15 round mag model not the regular 7). Basically the Bersa Thunder Plus 380 looks like a Walter PPK or PPKS, but it holds more than twice the Ammo.

Ah. I've seen the Bersas before, but I didn't know about the Plus. I've not had a chance to fire either.

*the Bersa is my main cancel carry gun* if I could only keep one of my Guns it would be the Bersa. I've fired hundards of round through it, and it's never jammed, it's an awesome little 380, Iíd recommend it for anyone looking to get something for personal defense or conceal carry.

I carry a .45 ACP whenever I can, but when I can't, I carry a .380 ACP. My .380s include a Colt Mustang Pocketlite, a SIG P232, and a Beretta 70S. The Mustang usually gets the nod for concealed carry. My Beretta 950 Jetfire (.25 ACP) is very concealable and handy for backup, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it. Still, anything is better than nothing.

While I have a S&W 60LS (Lady Smith) in .357 Mag., I'm not as comfortable carrying revolvers. I've been keeping my eyes open for a Beretta 1934 (.380) for a while, but it's difficult to find one in good condition at a reasonable price, these days. It's the pistol that Kirika Yuumura uses in Noir. The Beretta Cheetah is nice, too, but not as concealable.

I always try to get someone else to go with me, mainly because I need help hauling everything.

lol

Advertisement
#48930 - 02/28/13 12:11 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Stefanie
I tell'ya, I can't recommend the Bersa thunder 380 Plus, highly enough.
And before they came out with the Thunder Plus ( 15 round mag capacity )
I had the Bersa Thunder 380 ( 7 round mag ) and I couldn't recommend the Bersa Thunder 380 highly enough.
( in a pervious post I think I said 6 round mag which was incorrect )

I actually traded in my Thunder 380 and mags, & mag paddle holster ( single stack )
For the 380 Thunder Plus. ( plus a $150 )

The only difference is that the Thunder Plus is a little ( oh so little ) wider in the Grip.
There was no issue with it fitting in the paddle holster I already had for my Previous Bersa.

Stefanie
If you can rent and shot one, or test fire a used one because youíre thinking of buying a new one, or the used one youíre test firing.
( all these things you can do at the Gun Range, & Store ) I go to.

Than do so, itís a crisp sharp firing Gun, and so on, and so on. ( I just canít say enough about this gun )
I got my brother in-law to buy one laugh

Beretta CX4: Sweat, Iíve looked at them, and thought of buying one just because I liked itís look.
SIG P232: It looks a lot like my Bersa, but the Bersa is a little smaller
Beretta 70S: I donít know anything about this one, but it too looks nice.
Beretta 950 Jetfire: Iíve handled one before and IIRC, itís smaller than my Kel-Tec P3AT
Colt Mustang Pocketlite: also nice, looks like it's a pretty solid little piece.

#48935 - 02/28/13 12:43 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: BWBODDY]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

The online reviews of the Bersa are quite positive, and the prices (for when they used to be in stock) are very low compared to most other .380s worth having. I might have to look for one in a shop, so that I can see how the Plus fits my hand. Thanks for the info.

The only thing that bothers me at first glance is the combo decocking/safety lever. The few double actions I have (mainly SIG-Sauers) have the decockers only, and a manual safety on a DA doesn't make sense to me. However, I never thought I'd own a DA at all, until I fell in love with the SIG P220 (SIG now makes a SAO version, which I've never been able to find in stores, even before the recent panic). So, if the pistol is great otherwise, I could overlook that minor design preference... maybe.

#48936 - 02/28/13 01:14 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: BWBODDY]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Beretta CX4: Sweet, Iíve looked at them, and thought of buying one just because I liked itís look.

If you just want to have fun, it's hard to beat the CX4. Like you, the appearance is what initially drew me in, but it's also very well made and ergonomic to the extreme. It's as though Beretta were given a graduate studies assignment to show what's possible with polymers and modern firearms design. I don't know when I'd ever choose it over anything else in a real world situation, but as some would say, it's a "spiffy piece of kit."

If you ever get a CX4, I highly recommend replacing the factory plastic guide rod with a steel guide rod (I bought the SierraPapa kit which includes the HD buffer and bronze link). Like I said, the entire carbine is well made, but Beretta used plastic for the rod, trigger, and hammer to (in my opinion) prove what's possible (and to reduce weight and cost). There are certain parts that I prefer to be metal, though.

Beretta 70S: I donít know anything about this one, but it too looks nice.

I think of it as the missing link between the 1934 and the Cheetah (81 Series). Compared to other .380s available today, it's a little on the large and heavy side for concealed carry, but it's single action, which I consider an advantage over the Cheetah. It looks good and feels great in the hand, too.

Colt Mustang Pocketlite: also nice, looks like it's a pretty solid little piece.

I got mine back in the 1990s with the blued finish, and shorty after, Colt dropped it from their line (along with just about everything else) when the company restructured. It's back now, but it appears that it's only available with the "Electroless Nickeled Aluminum" frame and "Brushed Stainless Steel" slide. SIG-Sauer now makes it's own version of the Mustang, called the P238, and SIG gives you more options.

#48940 - 02/28/13 02:09 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: Stefanie
The online reviews of the Bersa are quite positive, and the prices (for when they used to be in stock) are very low compared to most other .380s worth having. I might have to look for one in a shop, so that I can see how the Plus fits my hand. Thanks for the info.

The only thing that bothers me at first glance is the combo decocking/safety lever. The few double actions I have (mainly SIG-Sauers) have the decockers only, and a manual safety on a DA doesn't make sense to me. However, I never thought I'd own a DA at all, until I fell in love with the SIG P220 (SIG now makes a SAO version, which I've never been able to find in stores, even before the recent panic). So, if the pistol is great otherwise, I could overlook that minor design preference... maybe.

Iíve not had any issue with it myself, Iíll pop in a Mag, jack the slide to put one in the Chamber.
If the Gun was already on Safe than the Hammer moves forward, if off safe than I move it to safe and it
de-cocks.
Than I take it off safe, because with the Bresa thatís just how I like to carry it. ( ready to fire )
The first pull of the trigger is technically a little bit longer than if the Hammer was already back, but Iíve never noticed it.
Of course, I could just cock the hammer back before the first shot if I wanted to.
And if I wanted to do it "for effect", if I happened to ( Heaven forbid ) have it pionted at a bad guy.

The only thing I wish was different was, I wished the safety action was switched,
Itís a flip up Thumb Action, instead of flip down like my Taurus, and I believe your Colt.

However I can take it off safe while drawing it from the holster, I have practiced it, I just donít normally carry it that way.

My Kel-Tec 380 P3AT on the other hand, it has no slide lock or a safety, kind of like a .25 auto.
Itís only safety feature is the same as an un cocked Revolver, a long trigger pull, every time, becuase there is no hammer to cock Ö.

The Kel-Tec 380 P3AT is the smallest 380 Auto out there, well of course there is the Ruger LCP, itís a P3AT clone.

Just like my Taurus PT 99 AT, is a Barrett PT 92 Clone, but my Taurus has the adjustable sights,
and I paid less than half the cost, Iíve had it the longest of all my Guns.
I bought it while I was Stationed in Germany back in 1984, and I've put thousands of rounds through it

#48946 - 02/28/13 03:27 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: BWBODDY]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Right, that P-3AT is DAO (double action only), so there's no external hammer. The long trigger pull serves as the manual safety mechanism, as opposed to a safety lever on SA (SAO) pistols. I just think that having one lever serve both functions on a typical DA (DA/SA) pistol is more confusing than helpful. Oh, well; that's why they make ice cream in multiple flavors.

Speaking of Kel-Tec, I've read some surprisingly good reviews from respectable sources of their KSG bullpup shotgun. Unfortunately, Kel-Tec picked a bad time to release it, but I think it's a more practical option than the UTAS UTS-15 or SRM 1216. I'm still puzzled why it took so long for someone to bring the Neostead concept to the USA.

#48947 - 02/28/13 03:38 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Right, that P-3AT is DAO (double action only), so there's no external hammer. The long trigger pull serves as the manual safety mechanism, as opposed to a safety lever on SA (SAO) pistols. I just think that having one lever serve both functions on a typical DA (DA/SA) pistol is more confusing than helpful. Oh, well; that's why they make ice cream in multiple flavors.

Speaking of Kel-Tec, I've read some surprisingly good reviews from respectable sources of their KSG bullpup shotgun. Unfortunately, Kel-Tec picked a bad time to release it, but I think it's a more practical option than the UTAS UTS-15 or SRM 1216. I'm still puzzled why it took so long for someone to bring the Neostead concept to the USA.

Iíve seen it in person, at my Gun Range, itís an awesome looking Weapon, but for a shotgun it's a little pricey ( plus I'm armed to the teeth as it is, but everyone should have a shotgun ) grin
My wife is all for getting a Shotgun, but not that costly... frown

#48951 - 02/28/13 03:50 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: BWBODDY]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

For someone who wants just one defense shotgun, the Remington 870 is a pretty common suggestion. It's available, affordable, easy to operate, and comes in several styles. I have the Express Tactical variant, and it's pretty good. As slide actions go, I still prefer my old Winchester 1300 Defender, but those are out of production. I put Hogue stocks and forends on both of them. The new Winchesters are the SXP models made in Turkey. Like Colt, Winchester had financial problems and had to restructure, and things just aren't the same.

#48955 - 02/28/13 04:31 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

For someone who wants just one defense shotgun, the Remington 870 is a pretty common suggestion. It's available, affordable, easy to operate, and comes in several styles. I have the Express Tactical variant, and it's pretty good. As slide actions go, I still prefer my old Winchester 1300 Defender, but those are out of production. I put Hogue stocks and forends on both of them. The new Winchesters are the SXP models made in Turkey. Like Colt, Winchester had financial problems and had to restructure, and things just aren't the same.

The Remington 870 ( or similar ), I think thatís the one my Son carries in his Cruiser.
I remember being with him when he bought it, His Mom and I gave him the cash for it.
The Cops have to buy their own Service Weapons, so when he became a Louisville Metro Police officer.
We gave him cash to buy some of his Gear as a Present.

But yah, for home defense, a simple pump action does the trick just fine.
grin

#48957 - 02/28/13 05:09 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: BWBODDY]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I'm sure he appreciated that. smile Did he have to supply his own rifle, too; or do the officers just need a shotgun and a handgun?

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.