UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
dada dada daa daa dada dada daa

Advertisement
#26707 - 09/14/11 03:45 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Heh, Sako recently announced their new TRG M10. It looks like everyone's trying to get in on the act, after Remington's XM2010 won the Army contract for PEO Soldier's "Enhanced Sniper Rifle" platform. It'll be interesting to see how many other companies offer XM2010 clones in the near future. smile

#26708 - 09/14/11 03:52 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

Loc: Overland Park, KS
Isn't it fair to say that the XM2010 itself is a derivative of a PSG-1 with a folding stock?

#26712 - 09/14/11 04:19 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Tsunami3k]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Well, the H&K PSG-1 (and for that matter, the H&K MSG90) is a semi-auto rifle, and the Remington XM2010 (and its fraternal twin, the Remington MSR) is a bolt action, so the systems are completely different, plus they don't even look similar. I'd say that the Cheytac M300 and the Blaser Tactical 2 have more in common with the XM2010, give or take a Picatinny rail or two.

#26714 - 09/14/11 04:41 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

Loc: Overland Park, KS
And yet, oddly enough, the first thing the XM2010 reminded me of was the PSG-1. Perhaps all long guns are beginning to look alike to me or maybe it's that I've always liked the PSG-1 so I likely resonate with any similarities I see no matter how faint. Remmy's move to .300 WinMag rounds may perhaps be the most substantial upgrade to their system.

#26761 - 09/15/11 12:57 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Tsunami3k]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Agreed. I don't know how much better (as opposed to just being more modern) the XM2010 will be versus the traditional M24 (Remington 700), which has been used in both 7.62x51mm NATO and .300 Win. Mag. chamberings. Several of the high-end rifles, such as the Blaser Tactical 2, the Accuracy International AW and AX series, and the Sako TRG-42, have been offered in .300 Win. Mag. and .338 Lapua Mag. for quite some time, and the .338 Lapua recently set the current sniper record, which was held by the .50 BMG from 1967 to 2009. From what I understand, other cartridges have always been available to our guys for specific purposes, but the adoption of the XM2010 represents the first change in the standard sniper cartridge since we switched from .30-06 Spr. to 7.62x51mm NATO.

Some articles, blogs, and message boards have discussed why we chose the .300 Win Mag. over the ballistically superior .338 Lapua Mag., and the consensus seems to be that it was more of a logistical issue (existing inventory of rifles and ammunition) than simply choosing the best possible cartridge from scratch. It sounds logical to me, but I don't know enough about the military's policies or inventories to have an informed opinion. Either way, you'd think flatter trajectories at longer ranges would be an improvement, regardless of the rifle being used.

#48687 - 02/22/13 03:18 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Stefanie
Heh, Sako recently announced their new TRG M10. It looks like everyone's trying to get in on the act, after Remington's XM2010 won the Army contract for PEO Soldier's "Enhanced Sniper Rifle" platform. It'll be interesting to see how many other companies offer XM2010 clones in the near future. smile

Yep, most of the big names who make military bolt actions are following suit...

AI AX338

FN Ballista PSR

McMillan ALIAS

Barrett MRAD

On the commercial side, I've also been noticing a trend toward bullpup configurations, for both rifles and shotguns. It'll be interesting to see whether this becomes mainstream.

#48691 - 02/22/13 06:48 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.

Yep, most of the big names who make military bolt actions are following suit...

AI AX338

FN Ballista PSR

McMillan ALIAS

Barrett MRAD

On the commercial side, I've also been noticing a trend toward bullpup configurations, for both rifles and shotguns. It'll be interesting to see whether this becomes mainstream.

They all look nice... grin

Thanks to President Hussein and that crazy old man Biden. ( sorry, it's hard to hide how I feel about them, but I'm doing my damnest )
The only thing weíll be able to own are Bolt Actions, if they had their way. ( oh and acording to that crazy old man, we can also have Double-barreled Shotguns )

I almost bought a Bushmaster bullpup ( 5.56 and uses Ar 15 mags. ) , a month or so ago, when I was looking to pick up a second AR and two 100 round beta mags, and thirty 30 round mags for the AR.
I passed on the Bullpup in favor of the AR, but it was mighty nice. ( wish I could of gotton both )
I did get the thirty 30 round mags and the two 100 round beta mags

#48889 - 02/27/13 05:31 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: BWBODDY]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I don't have any direct experience with Bushmaster (bullpups or otherwise), but I do like the AR platform in general (in my case, AR-10, not AR-15), so you can never have enough of those, in my opinion. smile

I hope you got the beta mags at a good price. These days, it's hard to find magazines at all, and when you do, they're double or triple the price they were just a few months ago. A couple of years back, Armalite had all of its AR-10 GEN2 magazines on sale, plus I caught a 4th of July discount on top of that; so I got ten of the 25-round mags. Now, with all of this chaos, they're continually out of stock.

The most depressing thing is the current lack of ammunition. Everyone is out of just about everything, and what little is available is way overpriced. About the only thing that's still reasonably priced is 7.62x54R, and even that's increased in recent months. Good thing I got a couple of crates when it was low.

#48897 - 02/27/13 06:38 PM Re: Random Thoughts [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
I don't have any direct experience with Bushmaster (bullpups or otherwise), but I do like the AR platform in general (in my case, AR-10, not AR-15), so you can never have enough of those, in my opinion. smile

I hope you got the beta mags at a good price. These days, it's hard to find magazines at all, and when you do, they're double or triple the price they were just a few months ago. A couple of years back, Armalite had all of its AR-10 GEN2 magazines on sale, plus I caught a 4th of July discount on top of that; so I got ten of the 25-round mags. Now, with all of this chaos, they're continually out of stock.

The most depressing thing is the current lack of ammunition. Everyone is out of just about everything, and what little is available is way overpriced. About the only thing that's still reasonably priced is 7.62x54R, and even that's increased in recent months. Good thing I got a couple of crates when it was low.

The first two beta mags I bought a couple years ago cost $150 each.
I paid $ 250 each this time... So yah, those prices are a soaring cry

The thirty 30 round mags, I bought at a local Army Surplus Store.
I bought all the ones he had, we counted them up then just putíem back in the box they were in and I tookíem Home in that.
And these were real Army surplus, all of them had that gray coating worn off them. ( mostly )
And I spend an Evening taking all of them apart and cleaning the dried caked in mud out of them.
Those worked out to be $10 apiece, and that is a good deal smile

This recent AR 15 purchase is from a manufacture called American Tactical.
It was a bare bones model AR with an Adam Arms Piston System on it.
So long as Iíve got that Serial Numbered lower, the skies the limit ( well that and the Pocketbook )
But unless something major happens, I just do stuff like upgrade the Buttstock, Sights, Picatinny Rail, forward grip, that kind of stuff.

As far as Ammo, Iíve been buying Ammo for years, whenever my pocketbook said I could or I saw a special deal for Bulk Ammo, I always buy it in 1000 round cases. ( Mainly )
You are right, Iíve seen nothing but "out of stock" when looking for both 5.56 and 30.06 ( for my M1 Garand ) frown
I need to start thinking about more Ammo for my 9mm and 380ís, Iím sure the price for them have gone way up as well.
And itís been even longer since Iíve seen Mil Surplus 30.06, it use to come up ever few month or so.
Mainly old South Korea production stuff, already in the Enbloc 8rd Clips
Thank goodness Iíve ( still ) got a lot, both Military ( black tipped Armor Piercing ) and Civilian reloads. ( for the M 1 )

Iíve got a lot of Ammo, for the AR and M 1, but Iím hesitant about going to the Range and shooting it up, and not being able to re-purchase.

And I do need to go break in the new AR, but Iíve never been able to go without taking everything with me.
Just taking the one AR and just one belt of Ammo, meaning an Army web belt with Shoulder Straps, with 6 Ammo ( each holds 3 mags )
pouches and 2 more pouches each with a beta mag in itÖ for a total of 740 roundsÖ. Oh and a Canteen. grin

And thatís just for the AR, I still have the M1, my Taurus Pt 99, the Kel-Tec P3AT 380,
the Bresa thunder 380 plus ( the "Plus" part means it's the 15 round mag model not the regular 6 )
Basically the Bersa Thunder Plus 380 looks like a Walter PPK or PPKS, but it holds more than twice the Ammo.
*the Bersa is my main cancel carry gun* if I could only keep one of my Guns it would be the Bersa
edit: I've fired hundards of round through it, and it's never jamed, it's an awsome little 380,
Iíd recommend it for anyone looking to get something for personal defense or conceal carry

Iíve never been able to go to the Range without taking and shooting all of my Guns crazy
*I always try to get someone else to go with me, mainly because I need help hauling everything*

Edited by BWBODDY (02/28/13 08:40 AM)
Edit Reason: edit:

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.