Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 3 of 610 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 609 610 >
Topic Options
#15330 - 02/08/10 05:53 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Stefanie]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
Funny-I tried a few episodes of the GTO anime and didn't care for it and then watched a few episodes of the live action version and thought it was humerous as all get out.

My Anime Bluray Collection

Advertisement
#15336 - 02/08/10 11:17 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Stefanie]
zentropa Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Loc: Minneapolis
Quote:
GTO is a lot of fun. It has the same "this situation is SO screwed up, there's NO WAY the protagonist can make it right again... but then he does" feel to it as Goldenboy. Both characters have a way of digging themselves holes to climb out of on a regular basis. While you'd think that device would get old, it doesn't in those two shows.

Yeah, I agree. I think the key on their take on the formula is that he's severely flawed but unwavering in his support of his students. While it's quite subtle, each greater obstacle he overcomes is made easier as more and more people begin to believe in him.

#15341 - 02/09/10 09:52 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zentropa]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Yeah, Onizuka gradually develops a student following along the way, and he gets help solving problems as the show goes along. By contrast, Kintaro solves most of his problems alone, until the last episode. But, considering that Goldenboy is only a six episode OVA, it makes more sense that way.

Despite their respective talents, both characters still rely quite a bit on improvisation and incredible luck. Compare that to a character such as Taichi in Master Keaton, who solves cases by being perfect at everything and twelve steps ahead of everyone else. Even James Bond, Angus MacGyver, and Indiana Jones rely on luck sometimes, but Taichi Keaton never does. lol

#15356 - 02/10/10 02:58 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Stefanie]
J.E.S. Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Just finished Kannazuki no Miko & Air.

I was little disapointed in Kannazuki. The reviews made it sound like it was going to play out kinda like a girl-on-girl romeo & juliet style tragedy. It didn't do that til the last two episodes. Which is bit uncool. If it played like that from the get go it would have made for a much better show. Well, at least it was pretty. smirk

Air was amazing though. I thought people were exagerating when they said "Oh m'god it's so sad, it's gonna make you cry." but man they were right. It had me in tears. I was just a little off put by the last 2-3 minutes of it after Sky flies away. It felt just smite too pretentious, just my thought though. Other than that, it was a great show.
smirk

#15365 - 02/11/10 11:35 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: J.E.S.]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: J.E.S.
I was little disapointed in Kannazuki. The reviews made it sound like it was going to play out kinda like a girl-on-girl romeo & juliet style tragedy. It didn't do that til the last two episodes. Which is bit uncool. If it played like that from the get go it would have made for a much better show. Well, at least it was pretty. smirk

I had the same reaction. There was a lot of untapped potential.

EDIT: No pun intended with the term "untapped." wink

Edited by Stefanie (02/11/10 11:37 AM)

#15366 - 02/11/10 01:40 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Stefanie]
J.E.S. Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
blush You know...
Some how I don't believe that. laugh
smirk

#15400 - 02/14/10 01:04 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Stefanie]
sawmill Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

I need to get around to watching GTO. Have the Tokyopop singles and artboxes and have only watched one episode. Too much to watch. Too little time. Did finish up True Tears which I thought was fantastic. Also rewatched Project A-ko movie with family and friends. They enjoyed it. Even if I thought the dub was weak. Everybody enjoyed the 80's pop English songs.

Edited by sawmill (02/14/10 01:07 PM)

#15403 - 02/14/10 07:06 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: sawmill]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Finished up World Destruction (Sands of Destruction) and wasn't all that impressed. Not one that i'll be running out to get anytime soon.

#15405 - 02/14/10 09:11 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: stargates]
zentropa Offline

Finished up Hell Girl the other night. It ended up opening up quite a bit after the repetition of the first ~8 episodes. It didn't quite meet my expectations but it was quite solid and the last 5 episodes or so were very good. Fairly dark themed, moral dilemma type material. It would probably have its best appeal to fans of like When they Cry, Death Note, Ghost Hunt, Texhnolyze.

Rating 7.25/10. It would probably rate more fairly by breaking it up into its parts: First 1/3rd 6.75/10, Second 1/3rd 7.25/10, Final 1/3rd 8.75/10.

Watched Claymore over the past two days. It was both better and worse than I thought it would be. The first 10 episodes were very impressive and while it was action packed throughout, the second half seemed to stall quite a bit... which probably isn't the right word for it, it just didn't seem to flow as well. I guess the plot just didn't move as well during the second half in terms of important events. Reminded me a bit of Berserk meets Gungrave.

Overall 8.25/10. If I broke it down I'd say first half 9.25/10 second half 7.25/10.

#15422 - 02/16/10 12:04 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zentropa]
zentropa Offline

Finished Innocent Venus today...

Nothing really to write home about. It brought up lots of comparisons in me to Full Metal Panic minus the humor and characters you care about. The actual plot premise is fairly interesting but the characters are pretty one-dimensional and never really developed very well. Plot-wise I'd link it to some of the underlying things in S-Cry-ed and to a lesser extent Witch Hunter Robin.

It fell a bit flat for me in the same way that most 11-14 episode series tend to fail to grab me.

Overall 6.75/10.

Page 3 of 610 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 609 610 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.