Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 160 of 583 < 1 2 ... 158 159 160 161 162 ... 582 583 >
Topic Options
#29239 - 12/02/11 01:04 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Baby Naruto]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Is it just me, or did anime from the Outlanders era often have similar run times. I remember that more often than not an anime was a one shot deal. It wasn't referred to as an OVA or movie, it was an anime. Ofttimes an anime was only between 1 (e.g. Plastic Little) and 3 (e.g. Project A-ko) installments long. Maybe anime's fanbase was smaller then, and the anime weren't backed by monolithic production companies; ergo they were smaller in scope. By scope I mean actual running time. This is not to say that they were any less enjoyable. God no! Some of my faves are old school.

Granted; this is just a generalization on my part due to speculation and caffeine. It does seem to me however, that the "one shot movies" have become less frequent as of late. Maybe that's because anime fans today are used to getting 12-14 episode or 3 - 4 OVA sets for the relative price of what used to be paid for the one shot movie. This is where I find that math cannot be applied to anime. The runtime of juggernauts such as Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D has no bearing on their majesty. Nowadays most anime movies must be tied to a series to make them viable and profitable to contemporary production/licensing/distribution companies.

I say: "It's not the size of your anime that counts, it's the..." Well, I guess I didn't know where I was going with that one. sweat

Advertisement
#29243 - 12/02/11 01:12 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: kiku
Is it just me, or did anime from the Outlanders era often have similar run times. I remember that more often than not an anime was a one shot deal. It wasn't referred to as an OVA or movie, it was an anime. Ofttimes an anime was only between 1 (e.g. Plastic Little) and 3 (e.g. Project A-ko) installments long. Maybe anime's fanbase was smaller then, and the anime weren't backed by monolithic production companies; ergo they were smaller in scope. By scope I mean actual running time. This is not to say that they were any less enjoyable. God no! Some of my faves are old school.

Granted; this is just a generalization on my part due to speculation and caffeine. It does seem to me however, that the "one shot movies" have become less frequent as of late. Maybe that's because anime fans today are used to getting 12-14 episode or 3 - 4 OVA sets for the relative price of what used to be paid for the one shot movie. This is where I find that math cannot be applied to anime. The runtime of juggernauts such as Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D has no bearing on their majesty. Nowadays most anime movies must be tied to a series to make them viable and profitable to contemporary production/licensing/distribution companies.

I say: "It's not the size of your anime that counts, it's the..." Well, I guess I didn't know where I was going with that one. sweat

I find no fault in your logicÖ Iím curious to hear Stefanie's thoughts on this subject... whistle

#29246 - 12/02/11 01:40 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Me too.

#29251 - 12/02/11 04:22 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Baby Naruto]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Just finished Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure.
Fun yet short, again with a very "to be continued" vibe.
BTW I actually got this for Christmas one year after asking for it.
Really surprised that my parents got it for me.

I had seen it on Tech TV, and really enjoyed it, so I asked for it, and got it.

Obviously the mystery of Yayoi's English dub actress remains so.
Since the days of Pioneer (and even up to today) some dub companies don't list who played what role, but just list the names of the actors (some being aliases since they were union workers working on a non-union show).
For example on this show we had Jerimiah Freedman, Georgette Rose, & Sparky Thornton. Who really are Joshua Seth (Tai on Digimon), Michelle Ruff (bunches of roles), and Kirk Thornton (a ton of stuff).

#29253 - 12/02/11 05:33 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: kiku]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
Originally Posted By: kiku

Well-for what's it worth-here's my take on it-in the 80's they had more money to throw around on ovas-the so called japanese "bubble economy" was still intact. Series like Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road ran for 100 episodes or more, most series now go for 12 or 12 episodes at most. Take Robot Carnival for example-the animation is lush-almost Disney quality-it's composed of a series of shorts linked by the theme "robots"-that wouldn't be made today. If you look around today it seems to me that there are just as many shorts being made as then.

#29273 - 12/03/11 12:38 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: EricDent
Just finished Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure.
Fun yet short, again with a very "to be continued" vibe.
BTW I actually got this for Christmas one year after asking for it.
Really surprised that my parents got it for me.

I had seen it on Tech TV, and really enjoyed it, so I asked for it, and got it.

Obviously the mystery of Yayoi's English dub actress remains so.
Since the days of Pioneer (and even up to today) some dub companies don't list who played what role, but just list the names of the actors (some being aliases since they were union workers working on a non-union show).
For example on this show we had Jerimiah Freedman, Georgette Rose, & Sparky Thornton. Who really are Joshua Seth (Tai on Digimon), Michelle Ruff (bunches of roles), and Kirk Thornton (a ton of stuff).
I've noticed that if the cast is only listed in a group without correlating each particular character name at the end of each episode, there's often a more comprehensive cast list at the end of the disc. They run credits after the credits of the last episode on each disc.

#29276 - 12/03/11 12:53 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Baby Naruto]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Nope not on this one.
Heck even ANN, Wikipedia, or MAL does not even list the name of the actress in the character list. They do mention the Japanese VA.

If I ever do find out, I will make sure to add it on those sites.

#29297 - 12/03/11 12:02 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: BWBODDY]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
Originally Posted By: stargates
Just finished up OUTLANDERS
A bloody, funny, cute Anime

Oddly enough when i saw this i thought that it was way too short and the story felt too rushed. One that i thought that was just an "OK" watch. Be a very long time before i sit and watch this one again

Yes, I know what you mean, I would of loved for this Anime to of been longer.
They could of really fleshed it out and made it even better.
The short run time, actually 44 minutes, not 50 minutes as stated ( unless you count the credits )
Itís why I held off forever before I finally decided to get it.

Did you know that Outlanders was based on a 35 volume manga series? Talk about compressing something! And that the artist who did the manga -Joji Manabe mostly does hentai doujinshi now? The latest thing I've found by him is Dirty Pair-Blast From The Past.

#29299 - 12/03/11 01:07 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zrdb]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: zrdb
Originally Posted By: stargates
Just finished up OUTLANDERS
A bloody, funny, cute Anime

Oddly enough when i saw this i thought that it was way too short and the story felt too rushed. One that i thought that was just an "OK" watch. Be a very long time before i sit and watch this one again

Yes, I know what you mean, I would of loved for this Anime to of been longer.
They could of really fleshed it out and made it even better.
The short run time, actually 44 minutes, not 50 minutes as stated ( unless you count the credits )
Itís why I held off forever before I finally decided to get it.

Did you know that Outlanders was based on a 35 volume manga series? Talk about compressing something! And that the artist who did the manga -Joji Manabe mostly does hentai doujinshi now? The latest thing I've found by him is Dirty Pair-Blast From The Past.

No, No I did not grin

#29344 - 12/04/11 10:26 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Baby Naruto]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Finished Magical Project S. Still a fun show.
Whomever else who has watched this, did you watch the "Pretty Sammy Theater" bits? Cause those are pretty funny.

As usual with the Tenchi spin-offs the other people do make appearances. Tenchi was a director of a power rangers show, Tenchi's grandpa was the mayor of a ninja town, Tenchi's dad was the guy trying to make the ninja town into a western town, Mihoshi was Sasami's teacher, Kiyone was the class next door's teacher, Washu was a genius scientist who became one of her teachers (plus she was only 12), Ayaka was one of the candidates for queen (named Romio), Ryoko was a royal guard named Oryro, and of course Tsunami was the main candidate for queen.

Page 160 of 583 < 1 2 ... 158 159 160 161 162 ... 582 583 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.