Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1401 - 07/04/08 08:53 PM New License: Gakuen Alice
Alison Roberts Offline
UPSF Admiral

Loc: Grimes, IA
Quote:
GAKUEN ALICE

Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment announced its license for GAKUEN ALICE, as well as plans to release the series in a single DVD box set – with Japanese audio and English-language subtitles – during 2009. A comedy with supernatural and magical elements, the series chronicles the adventures of Mikan, a spunky and excitable 10-year-old, as she runs away from home and follows her genius best friend to a mysterious Tokyo school for students with exceptional abilities and gifts.

This 26-episode adaptation of Tachibana Higuchi’s ongoing manga features direction by Takahiro Omori (Baccano!, Hell Girl) and aired on Japan’s national NHK television network. (Savvy fans will also notice “Mikan,” the series’ pig-tailed heroine, is portrayed by Kana Ueda, the voice of “Yumi” in Maria Watches Over Us, “Rin” in Fate/stay Night and “Hayate” in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A’s.)

The original manga is currently serialized in Japan’s Hana to Yume girls’ manga magazine, where it has appeared alongside titles including Fruits Basket, Hana-Kimi, Skip Beat! and Special A since its 2003 debut. The Gakuen Alice manga is published in North America by TOKYOPOP.

Visit gakuenalice.rightstuf.com for more information about Gakuen Alice and to pre-order the box set.

Advertisement
#1610 - 07/15/08 08:05 AM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: Alison Roberts]
otakuden Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: somewhere south of normal
~goes to preorder page~
. . .
w00t! Gakuen Alice preorder complete! laugh

#6224 - 01/05/09 10:46 AM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: otakuden]
Risami Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

hmm i heard this is good never got to saw it but :3 if its like those series with a bit of romance hopefully i'd like it smile
i'd preorder but i'd be afraid not knowing when it will come and i'd have already order a bunch of stuff frown

#7992 - 02/23/09 04:41 PM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: Risami]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
Seeing as it'll be subbed only I'm gonna pass on this one. My problem is that I have too much to watch now-while I don't mind "reading" anime-just like you I much perfer dubs to subs.

#7996 - 02/23/09 04:49 PM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: zrdb]
GreenGel Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
That's unfortunate, it's a fun series. I prefer to get anime with dubs, and I actually think voice actors would have a lot of fun doing the characters in this show, but I can understand why TRSI would decide not to dub it.

#8952 - 03/26/09 07:26 AM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: GreenGel]
Keiichi Morisato Offline
UPSF Ensign

I'm passing as well. Right Stuf, unfortunately, is moving to subtitled-only anime releases, much like Media Blasters has done. This is just turning me off from buying any titles that Right Stuf licenses.

The only titles I have bought from RS Licensed anime has been Boys Be and His and Her Circumstances. I just think that RS is running in the wrong direction.

#9002 - 03/29/09 03:57 AM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: Keiichi Morisato]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Isn't Media Blasters latest title Moribito a sub/dub title?

#9035 - 03/30/09 04:09 PM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: stargates]
Keun Offline
UPSF Ensign

Quick questions.
I've never bought any Anime from either this site nor any others. How are the subbings? I like it when the subbings are colored differently for each character in case two or more characters speak at the same time. And do they have subbing for Opening and Ending songs? In another word, karaoke. I love singing along so if that's missing, that's a no no. Those are the most crucial factors that determines whether I should buy a DVD set or not. Is Gakuen Alice going to be dubbed? I heard rumors about it. Although I do NOT like dub at all. If they do dub, the DVD set also better have sub version with japanese audio with it. And 5 minutes sample of Episode One of Gakuen Alice would be nice. Until then, I am not going to buy anything. Hopefully the quality of the Anime is good too. So I can watch it in HDTV or in Huge Desktop Screen, almost the size of the Mac Wide Screen Version. And hope to God the subtitle timing is perfect.

#9037 - 03/30/09 05:29 PM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: Keun]
GreenGel Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
Keun I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, though I don't have the answers to every single one of them.

Quote:
I've never bought any Anime from either this site nor any others. How are the subbings? I like it when the subbings are colored differently for each character in case two or more characters speak at the same time
Each company that releases DVDs has their own way of subbing things. That said, of the subs that I've watched, they tend not to change colors based on the character speaking. Whether that holds true for all subs I can't say.
Quote:
And do they have subbing for Opening and Ending songs? In another word, karaoke. I love singing along so if that's missing, that's a no no.
I would say nearly all, if not all of the anime I have seen do have the opening/ending sequences translated on screen (usually included on the DVDs as an extra is the "clean" opening and closing where this is removed.
Quote:
Is Gakuen Alice going to be dubbed? I heard rumors about it. Although I do NOT like dub at all. If they do dub, the DVD set also better have sub version with japanese audio with it.
Gakuen Alice is not going to be dubbed. Every anime DVD set that is dubbed that I have seen always includes both the English dub as well as the original japanese audio with subtitles.

I have also never experienced any problems with subtitle timing either. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen a release where it was a problem.

#9054 - 03/31/09 07:50 AM Re: New License: Gakuen Alice [Re: GreenGel]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Originally Posted By: Keun
I've never bought any Anime from either this site nor any others. How are the subbings? I like it when the subbings are colored differently for each character in case two or more characters speak at the same time.
I've noticed that seems to be more along the fansub versions than anything else. On occasion the only time i've seen color changes are White and Yellow should the characters dialoge overlap, but usually nothing more.

And do they have subbing for Opening and Ending songs? In another word, karaoke. I love singing along so if that's missing, that's a no no.

Most, if not all, do have the subbing for the op/ed songs. Though it differs from one company to the next. Some will have both english and japanese subs on screen together-like in Aria. Other times the episodes will atlernate, one in english the next in japanese-like The Third, but they are usually there.

I've never bought any Anime from either this site nor any others.

As for this site they do a good job. Pretty much everybody here will tell you that. So go ahead and order away! smile Also welcome to the forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.