Start Shopping! Cart
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#11373 - 06/30/09 11:13 AM What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases?
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
I just recently repurchased Chocolate & OldBoy. My original OldBoy was/is an OOP korean limited edition which was quite snazzy. My original Chocolate was a disk that may or may not have been a bootleg,.. it's hard to say when I purchase from my local Hong Kong mall. A lot of their stuff seems questionable.

I never got around to watching Chocolate for some reason. A friend just recently borrowed it & the idea popped into my head that I should perhaps upgrade to blu. So I did. Best Buy was selling Chocolate on BluRay for 29.99. ..I wound up being patient & shopping online at home. Thankfully I found it at amazon for a mere $16 and change. laugh
While making the above order I checked out a few other items, one of the items that I decided to go with was OldBoy for around $21 or so. ..I just really love this film. Hopefully the bluray retains most/all of the special features of my OOP LE + adds a few new features.

& now to go completely off topic in my very own thread my order consisted of 4 items total. The other two items being Flight Of The Conchords (S2) & Watchmen (blu) preorders. Additionally I ordered from another site (within a half hours time of the other order) an import of Kafka. Which is somewhat surprisingly rather difficult to find on DVD. I am quite excited for Kafka.

[*Edited the subject line to reflect forum topic - Christy, Mod]

Edited by Christy (10/07/10 11:34 AM)

Advertisement
#11374 - 06/30/09 11:22 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
I guess Ip Man and Red Cliff 2 (love both) were my last Chinese film purchases, and Sukiyaki Western Django (which I found boring) was my last Japanese film purchase. I haven't bought much lately.

#11763 - 07/15/09 07:11 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
edojidai Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Olympia, Wa
1 of Azumi 2 DVD (Hyb) LiveAction
1 of Azumi DVD Collector's Editon (Hyb) LiveAction
1 of Fist of the North Star: The Movie DVD (Hyb)
1 of Gantz Season 1 DVD Box Set (Hyb)
1 of Gantz Season 2 DVD Box Set (Hyb)
1 of Got Anime? Purchasing Club Membership Renewal
1 of Gunslinger Girl Complete Collection DVD (Hyb)

Placed this order the other day. I heard good things about Azumi. I seen the first episode of Gunslinger Girl without audio and was intrigued enough to buy the collection. Ihave the first two DVDs of Gantz and wanted to finish watching that. It is weird yet stirs my curiosity about that black cue ball.
Of course I have been meaning to get a copy of Fist of the NOrth Star for a long time - a classic by any means. And I renewed my Got Anime membership woohoo!

#11764 - 07/15/09 07:14 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
edojidai Offline

Originally Posted By: Stefanie
I guess Ip Man and Red Cliff 2 (love both) were my last Chinese film purchases, and Sukiyaki Western Django (which I found boring) was my last Japanese film purchase. I haven't bought much lately.

I was in Japan for the release of Red CLiff 1 & 2 and Sukiyaki. My Japanese comprehension is horrible. Normally they put out a theatrical release with english subs but I couldnt find any. Just my luck. I need to get a hold of Red Cliff for certain though. Heard the American release was going to be a compilation of the two Japan releases because "Americans wouldn't understand the relationships between so many characters" That was just what I heard though

#11768 - 07/15/09 10:15 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: edojidai]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I haven't seen the Japanese releases of Red Cliff, but I have the two Hong Kong releases. I watched them within a few months of each other, but I need to watch them back-to-back one of these weekends, so that Part 1 will be fresh on my mind. Altogether, it's certainly a long film, but I didn't have trouble keeping track of anything. I just need to know more about Chinese history and mythology in general.

I might still get the North American release, just out of curiosity and for the sake of comparison.

#11846 - 07/17/09 02:24 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
edojidai Offline

yatta! I was able to locate Red Cliff 1 & 2. Watched them both last night. Yeah I found it easy to follow the plot and characters and what-not. I wish I remember where I read that posting about American audiences not being able to follow along. I hope the American release will be both parts versus a compilation. That would ruin it completly I believe.

Edited by edojidai (07/17/09 02:25 AM)

#16794 - 04/18/10 12:32 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: edojidai]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Yesterday I placed an order on UK amazon to import blurays of Sympathy For Mr Vengence, Sympathy For Mrs Vengence, and Thirst.

Off topic: also Equilibrium & Rules Of Attraction.

#17693 - 06/06/10 03:46 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Gamera Giant Monster from Shout Factory, it does not come with a dub (Japanese w. Subs), and is widescreen for the first time in the USA.

#18774 - 08/15/10 11:44 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I haven't listed these, even though I got a few of them a bit of a while back..

Ichi The Killer (bluray): Not an amazing upgrade, but I'd say that I'm happy with this over my previous Dutch LE import. Don't expect there to be complete elimination of grain, but the video is a lot sharper upon my 52inch. I've seen the film dozens of times prior to purchase, I like it.
Versus (bluray): Another double dip for me, just upgrading to the superior format for superior image upon my larger than reasonable screen (with which flaws, dirt, and less than 1080p are glaringly annoying). Grain still remains, but the film is great & I'm happy with the upgrade.
Ip Man (bluray): Grainy again but a lot better than the prior two titles. A very impressive display of martial arts. I'm anxious to see the prequel & sequel.

I can't think of what else I've grabbed lately.

#19327 - 09/15/10 11:39 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
CheechMonger Offline

Loc: Florida
Picked these up yesterday at Wal-Mart:

Super Robot Red Baron: The Complete Series
Iron King - The Complete Series

I'd vaguely heard of these, so I picked them up on impulse as they were with a bunch of other bargain DVDs. They look kind of cheesy, and the packaging is really cheap (DVDs are in paper folders locked into one side of the case), but for 39 and 26 episodes respectively, there's a lot of bang for the buck!

It also appears that my order for Be Strong Geum Soon Vol. 2 has shipped. I'll have to hurry and finish up volume one before it arrives!

#19338 - 09/16/10 09:01 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
If you like chessy kaiju, then you will love these. Both were made in the early 70's during the huge giant robot invasion on Japanese television that started with Ultraman years before. Iron King was obviously made for children, but would be considered too violent for today's TV. In Super Robot Red Baron you will see the beginings of themes later used in Power Rangers and other sentai TV shows. I liked Red Baron better for the attempts in production quality. You can make a drinking game in which you have to take a shot everytime Mari breathlessly says "Ken" or Ken says "Mari". During some episodes you would be smashed halfway through.laugh

#19398 - 09/23/10 10:18 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I am kind of leary on buying those shows. Especially since the same company also did a release of Ultraman, when they did NOT really have the licence (it was being debated in court when the DVD came out). Until I see an Ultraman set with the Tsuburaya Productions official seal of approval, I probably won't buy it.

I was going to try to buy the recent releases of Gamera (vs. Baragon & the 2 "Double Feature" sets) but they don't seem to want to sell them in any of the usual stores where I live (Best Buy & Fry's).

#19416 - 09/25/10 09:24 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Best Buy's selection of cool stuff has gotten anemic the past couple of years. I no longer shop there unless I am buying electronics. I do nearly all my media purchasing on line. Many times I have found what I am looking for (including shipping) at a price better than you can find the stores. I hate that. I don't want B&M's to go out of business, but when it comes to media, I have to use my money in way that gets the most value for me. Plus, like you said, you can't always find what you want in a store. You have to order it anyway.

#19436 - 09/26/10 08:29 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Not recent purchases, but I've finally gotten around to watching..:
Samurai School: let me start off by saying that I absolutely love Tak Sakaguchi. I absolutely loved this film. It's got a lot of dorky humor that fans of Tak had ought to be accustomed to by now. I really loved the theme of "This is what it means to be a man", while obviously being very silly with the displays. CHECK THIS FILM OUT.
Tokyo Gore Police: Lol, this one is worth watching if for no other reason than the in-film advertisements. The film itself is fine. Just imagine a mix between Machine Girl & Meatball Machine. A great title to help you stand the wait for the upcoming release of Robogeisha smile

I picked upThe Good, The Bad, And The Weird but I have yet to watch it..

[edit] & yeah,.. I only order through RightStuf, Amazon, & HKFlix. Very Rarely do I bother at B&M shops.
(Though I am presently working out a DeepDiscount order..)

#19456 - 09/27/10 04:19 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Gevin
Tokyo Gore Police: Lol, this one is worth watching if for no other reason than the in-film advertisements. The film itself is fine.

A friend of mine brought it over one night. If you want weirdness, it's got weirdness, but I didn't enjoy it like I enjoy other bad movies. I think Machine Girl is better... and sillier.

I picked upThe Good, The Bad, And The Weird but I have yet to watch it...

I've been curious about that one. smile

#19462 - 09/27/10 06:03 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

those advertisements were better than the actual film.

Cuter Cutter! It's a wrist cutter that's cute!

#19557 - 10/05/10 07:47 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Just got in:
Ghost Talker's Daydream 4
Maid Sama 6

Been waiting on Ghost Talker forever. Dark Horse has a habit of putting out release dates and then postponing them for months at a time.

#19562 - 10/06/10 09:22 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

How different is the GTD manga from the anime (assuming that you've seen it)? Back when the OVA came out, the anime reviews seemed to praise the manga quite a bit, but I've never read it.

#19585 - 10/07/10 09:44 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

How different is the GTD manga from the anime (assuming that you've seen it)? Back when the OVA came out, the anime reviews seemed to praise the manga quite a bit, but I've never read it.

The manga is quite entertaining and well written. Elements remind me of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. If I remember correctly, the anime covers some of the early stories from volume one. I do remember that is it very good. Not very scary, perhaps a little creepy. Some adult content to both the anime and the manga.

#19842 - 10/23/10 02:52 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I watches Vampire Girl Vs Frankenstein Girl last night. Mmmm... Movie wasn't nearly as good as Machine Girl & perhaps even slighty bellow Tokyo Gore Police,.. But was prrrretty good.
I'm more excited about Robo-Geisha coming up soon.
Vg-vs-Fg isn't totally a waste of time, it's certainy not so bad if you know what you are getting into,.. But I was generally not wild about the film. The comedy wasn't strong enough.

#19877 - 10/25/10 09:12 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Considering how many A-movies are now available for $10 on Blu-ray, it's getting hard to justify buying B-movies for $20 and up, regardless of whether they're domestic or import releases. I still pay a lot for some of the imports out of Honk Kong, but those are Chinese A-movies, and easier to justify than intentionally bad Japanese violence fests.

Still, I do want to see those two... just not sure if I want to pay that much.

#19914 - 10/26/10 07:40 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Robogeisha ought to deliver big.
My expectations were never extremely high for VG vs FG

#19920 - 10/27/10 10:51 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I'll wait for the official Gevin report on Robogeisha.

#19926 - 10/27/10 04:18 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I expect it to be on par with Machine Girl, if not exceeding.
What I want to know is when does Mutant Squad( ,... Or Mutant Girl Squad?) hit shelves? ..or hit online for preordering?

#19964 - 10/29/10 10:30 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I guess I totally forgot that this section of the board exsited.
Back when I bought all that stuff for 99 cents each at Hastings, I got:

Kitaro
47 Ronin
Kaiju Big Battel Shocking Truth

#19965 - 10/29/10 11:07 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

47 Ronin - the 1947 version? If so, nice. smile

#20022 - 11/02/10 12:12 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Sorry I forgot to mention it is Kon Ichikawa's 47 Ronin from 1994.

Just to let you guys know I am a frequent contributor to GameFAQs, and have won a couple of FAQ Bounties, and even a couple of FAQ of the Month. Apparently the compitition is a bit slim these days, since I just won another FAQ of the Month Contest for my Walkthrough of LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 for the DS (there is NO strategy guide for the DS version, so you have to write these from scratch). I personally have done ALL of the "adventure" type LEGO game walkthroughs for the DS (LEGO Star Wars The Complete Saga, LEGO Batman, LEGO Indiana Jones 1 & 2, and LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4.) I will probably do the upcoming LEGO Star Wars 3 The Clone Wars, as well as LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 for DS.

I got a $60 Amazon Gift Card, and bought the more recent re-releases of the Gamera movies (that I mentioned before being hard to find in the store). I have about $9 left on the gift card, but will probably save it until Christmas (I have a really good chance of getting more gift cards).

#20025 - 11/02/10 12:57 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Congrats. Those guides require a lot of work.

#20265 - 11/20/10 12:56 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
I was looking into getting Assault Girls, but the reviews that i've been reading on it don't look all that promising. You would think that something from Oshii would be a decent watch with good reviews, but this one so far seems to stink to high heaven from what the fans have been saying.

#20270 - 11/20/10 03:46 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: stargates]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

My expectations were always low for this title.
I ordered Assault Girls out of curiosity, but I expect little. The trailer looks absolutely horrible & the film looks basically like a less serious/action packed remake of Avalon (which was good, if a tad slow).

#20395 - 12/03/10 12:27 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Have you been able to see the film yet? Did it meet your low expectations?

#20399 - 12/03/10 03:09 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: stargates]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Not yet frown

#20419 - 12/06/10 05:56 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Saw Death Kappa! (where are my priorities??)
Movie was ok at best. Movie was fairly dull to be completely honest.
Once the battling started it was rather impressive.. Nunchucks from nowhere was neat.
I basically could not recommend the film to anyone.
Lots of crappy holes in the plot. At the start we are introduced to a town full of deformed freaks. ...and then they never return.. I mean,.. Literally for zero reason.
If you are hardcore about giant fighting lizard films then go ahead and check it out; Just don't expect much.

#20420 - 12/06/10 07:56 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

Loc: Overland Park, KS
I had a chance to watch Assault Girls on Bluray on Friday and it was....unique. One shouldn't expect Oshii live action to be epic by any measure and I wasn't necessarily disappointed by taking this approach. The effects were fairly decent by Japanese movie standards (although decidedly a cut below the few Yamato clips I've seen to date) but nothing was particularly noteworthy either.

For anyone who's heard a few of his interviews and/or monologues then you'll certainly find the @10m opening monologue the epitome of all that is bad and good about Oshii's obsessive reiteration of the clash between reality and that which is virtual/perceived. Ultimately the movie does little to reinforce this notion as it primarily takes place within the game world.

It's yet another of his self-insertion tales as the familiar downtrodden man surrounded by "untrustworthy" women (an indicator of his home life that he's often alluded to in countless interviews). I also though that it lingered a bit long on slow pans of the mood-building panoramic vistas, which were admittedly quite striking in their bleakness, but the resulting pace will likely get much of the same criticism as the .Hack franchise received; most viewers understandably expect a bit more action from a purportedly game-centric title. Instead there is a lot of walking and/or standing and looking toward the horizon.

Lucifer (one of the player characters we follow along with) was freakishly bizarre and left me with inexplicable nightmares about mimes trying to strangle me with various kinds of pasta. (This will only make sense to those who've seen the movie. Don't say you haven't been warned...)

Very minor spoiler but...
Click to reveal..
There were no basset hounds.

#20425 - 12/07/10 10:36 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Tsunami3k]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Assault Girls and Vampire Girl Vs. Frankenstein Girl just arrived. Seen a lot of people talking about these titles. More so than most other titles. No one seems to have much good to say.
I'm wondering now if I will think it was worth the purchase. We'll have to see.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (12/07/10 10:36 AM)

#20435 - 12/08/10 12:12 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Please let us know what you think. I almost ordered several of these new releases, but after reading the comments here, I backed off.

#20443 - 12/09/10 06:11 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Robogeisha: would you be completely ridiculous for me to claim that I thought this film would take itself a tad more seriously? Machine Girl has a nearly perfect balance of ridiculous happenings and outrageous gore surrounding a story that the film takes rather seriously. Robogeisha is just silly all over. ..and for that reason I sometimes found myself a tad bored.
I would suggest that people consider seeking a manner to rent or view the film & make their own opinions. I'd really like to hear what other people think.
I watched the film with the dub,.. Perhaps this was my first mistake?

#20453 - 12/09/10 12:15 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Tsunami3k]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I think Assault Girls showed the most promise of this latest crop of Japanese B-movies. Who's else (other than Tsunami3k) has seen that? Tsunami3k, would you say that Assault Girls is excessively violent?

#20457 - 12/09/10 01:38 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I'll see if I get around to watching Assault Girls soon.
..but it doesn't look especially violent.

#20489 - 12/10/10 04:39 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

I think Assault Girls showed the most promise of this latest crop of Japanese B-movies. Who's else (other than Tsunami3k) has seen that? Tsunami3k, would you say that Assault Girls is excessively violent?

Not in the least. Despite being live-action I'd classify it entirely as "cartoon violence", even when a player-character dies it very closely embraces the night bloodless "virtual death" you'd expect in a simulated world typically including a respawn sequence (sometimes to humorous effect).

I've been itching to get my hands on Yojimbo ever since I heard that it was the source story for A Fistful of Dollars. In the mean time I picked up a copy of the Blood:The Last Vampire live-action movie which I'm hoping to round up some friends from the anime club to watch it with.

#20514 - 12/13/10 01:16 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Tsunami3k]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Tsunami3k, would you say that Assault Girls is excessively violent?
Originally Posted By: Tsunami3k
Not in the least.

Oh, then I'm glad I didn't buy it. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Tsunami3k
I've been itching to get my hands on Yojimbo ever since I heard that it was the source story for A Fistful of Dollars.

I think you'd also like Sanjuro, which I think is a better story.

#20707 - 12/30/10 01:19 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Just watched the liveaction Blood: the Last Vampire. It was mostly what I had expected. Not bad, could have had some help with plotting the action sequences though. The rooftop chase scene and the fight scene on the truck in the ravine was a little too much bad CGI for me. Otherwise it was beautifully filmed. Being shot mostly in English was a nice bonus. The gorgeous Korean actress Gianna, really surprised me as Saya. Watching the behind the scenes extras you can see that she really does all her own stunts. She is a impressive actress and appears to be comfortable with a katana in hand. She looked convincing unlike other "girls with swords" movies I've seen.
It somewhat follows the anime film but, then goes beyond that with a confrontation with the main bad guy. The final fight scene is pure art. I thought it odd that a motion picture based on an anime that takes place in Japan would be filmed mostly in Argentina and China. Go figure.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (12/30/10 01:30 PM)

#20714 - 12/30/10 02:01 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Hobby Ninja
She is a impressive actress and appears to be comfortable with a katana in hand. She looked convincing unlike other "girls with swords" movies I've seen.

I've wondered about Blood, and whether it could pull off the action sequences. Can you provide any comparisons of films that I might've seen? How does the action compare to that of Lady Snowblood or Princess Blade?

#20752 - 01/04/11 08:25 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

She is a impressive actress and appears to be comfortable with a katana in hand. She looked convincing unlike other "girls with swords" movies I've seen.

I've wondered about Blood, and whether it could pull off the action sequences. Can you provide any comparisons of films that I might've seen? How does the action compare to that of Lady Snowblood or Princess Blade?

I can't comment on Lady Snowblood as I have not seen that yet. It is on my list though. I re-watched Princess Blade to refresh my memory. They are done in two totally different directing styles. The action in Blood looks cleaner and better rehearsed. The main character of Blood also seems much better at capability with a sword and martial arts than the girl from Princess Blade. You would actually think she could whip your butt. What she does with a ten pound sledge is amazing.laugh
Blood does use much more wire harness though.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (01/04/11 08:27 PM)

#20757 - 01/05/11 08:24 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

What she does with a ten pound sledge is amazing. laugh

That's my first nomination for the 2011 TRSI quote of the year.

#21146 - 01/27/11 02:13 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I recently watched Assault Girls and Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl.
Assault Girls is a huge waste of time. It would have been much better as an episode of the Outer Limits. It is dull, dull, dull. Not very well written. It steals elements from various video games and other sci fi works. The very attractive main character seems to always be standing where the camera can show a nice shot of her butt. The C.G.I. effects are fairly well done. However there is little if any story, no character development to speak of. The most interesting character in the whole film is the crow girl and she doesn't say a single word throughout the entire movie. You have a group of people hunting giant Sand Whales (think sand worms from Dune) in a virtual game world. I never got to see how they got money for the real world by playing this game. You never see their real world either. It is way too drawn out. I think they told the editor to use all available footage to make it long enought to call it a movie.
Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl was one of the most funny things I've ever seen. It's low budget and seems to delight in this. It is outrageous cinema brought to you by the same person as Tokyo Gore Police. The fight scenes are something to be seen. Just imagine a beautiful vampire in sailor fuku, a hunchback school janitor by the name Igor, a Goth Lolita click running the school, a science teacher that spends his evenings conducting experiments in the school basement dressed for a night of Kabuki, an oversexed and really hot school nurse and an amusing after school club program. Don't take this one seriously at all and you'll have a good time. Watch out for the showers of blood, flying body parts and never, never walk the halls by yourself. You'll not be seen again.

#21157 - 01/28/11 05:14 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

Assault Girls was watchable but as a drama/comedy/social-commentary (or dromedary) it never quite made it over the hump.

Edited by Tsunami3k (01/28/11 05:15 PM)

#21290 - 02/11/11 06:51 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Tsunami3k]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I just ordered both Lady Snowblood movies. I've been wanting to see these for several years. Now I get the chance.smile
Next on my list will be some of the other bad girls films. Perhaps the Pinky Violence Collection.

#21298 - 02/12/11 10:57 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I have recently watched, Maid's Secret and Maid's Secret: Welcome Home from Switchblade Pictures.
I also have Pretty Maid Cafe (part of the Akihabara Trilogy Series) from Central Park Media in my collection.
They all have several things in common. Low budget (would you have thought otherwise), abduction, wimpy would be boyfriends, nudity, and of course maids. The Maid's Secret films also have common with each other rape. I found this rather distasteful, so if that is a problem for you, do not watch. They are also soft porn. Pretty Maid Cafe is the tamer of the three and is actually a better told story as well although it is for adults also. Each has some redeeming value when attempting comedy. The scenes I enjoyed the most was the gentleman continuously trying to commit suicide by jumping off the building housing the maid cafe in Maid's Secret. I was hoping to actually see how operations run at a maid cafe. There is very little of this culture displayed in these videos. Pretty Maid Cafe gave me the closest glimpse I believe. Then again, how much of that can I trust. Overall I couldn't recommend these videos to anyone unless you have an extreme interest in Japanese girls pretending to be maids and are willing to see behavior that would land you in jail for a very long time.
I considered posting this somewhere else on the forum however this seems to be the best place for it. If I am wrong, I apoligize.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (02/12/11 10:59 AM)

#21319 - 02/14/11 11:52 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I just ordered both Lady Snowblood movies. I've been wanting to see these for several years. Now I get the chance.smile

Yay!

#21326 - 02/14/11 03:52 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
zrdb Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
I have the 1st Lady Snowblood, the live action Perfect Blue and Kamikaze Girls-it's funny as hell.

My Anime Bluray Collection

#21482 - 03/06/11 10:27 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I just recently watched Crippled Master 2.
Nowhere near as fun as the original. I'd say don't bother.

#21494 - 03/07/11 05:35 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Just got through watching Lady Snowblood and Lady Snowblood: Song of Vengeance. The first film followed the initial manga story line of her origin and her inherited quest of vengeance. I actually found the second film a little more enjoyable. It was suspenseful and kept you guessing as to what could happen next. Being part of the Pinky Violence era of films, it had plenty of blood. The unnaturally bright red and spurting gallons kind. The actress that played Yuki had the "go to hell" look down pat. She could give you one glance and you would find yourself packing your bags. The battle scenes in the first film where more believable I think. A woman with a sword umbrella could fight off only so many men at a time you know. Cue blood spurt.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (03/07/11 08:08 PM)

#21497 - 03/08/11 09:03 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

cool

#21498 - 03/08/11 01:01 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Just got through watching Lady Snowblood and Lady Snowblood: Song of Vengeance... Being part of the Pinky Violence era of films, it had plenty of blood. The unnaturally bright red and spurting gallons kind.

Have you seen Azumi or Azumi II? It's of the same style, lots and lots of red throughout both films. I think that it might put Elfen Lied to shame. grin

#21501 - 03/08/11 01:37 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: stargates]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Elfen Lied is more shocking with it's gore though.
I'd take Elfen over the Azumi films any day.

Though I will give props to the Azumi films to a certain degree. I'm always up for a Ryuhei Kitamura film. Check out Versus & Sky High, both are pretty fun.
Tak Sakaguchi is a real favorite of mine. I'll see ANYTHING with Tak.

#21502 - 03/08/11 06:16 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Thanks for the recommendations. I had Azumi on my list. I just ordered:
Machine Girl
Azumi 1&2
box set
Versus
BTW. Anyone curious about New Manager of the Sumo Club from Switchblade? Forget it. A terrible thing that I won't call a film. Just another excuse for a wacky soft porn video. More stupid than funny.

#21506 - 03/08/11 07:30 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

A short film offering of the greatness that is Tak Sakaguchi.
http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi943916313/
Fist Fighter Mitchan is available on IMDB free via streaming. The goofy male character protagonist is Tak.

#21507 - 03/08/11 07:32 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

OH! If it's not too late you might want to cancel & replace your Machine Girl order for the upcoming Bluray. (offered here at RightStuf as a preorder)

#21545 - 03/10/11 04:57 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I just finished up a female assasin box set containing Pistol Opera and Black Angel 1&2. Pistol Opera was more confusing and harder to understand than the first time I saw FLCL. I really don't like art films.
The Black Angel movies were made much better. The Japanese really like high drama in their Yakuza/assasin films. Every hero has to have a birth secret or painful origin story. They also have to be flawed and filled with guilt and doubt about not only who they are, but what they are doing. Evidently hesitation on the trigger adds wanted suspence. It just makes me crazy. I will recommend the Angel movies, but be warned they are adult. They are very interesting views. The best aspect of them I can say is not knowing what will happen next. The former film mentioned above should be avoided at all costs. It had half it's plot missing and the other half was plain stupid. grin

Next on my list is the Zero Woman and Female Prisoner 701 series.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (03/10/11 05:06 PM)

#21558 - 03/11/11 09:06 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Is that Zero Woman of the 1970s or the 1990s? I have Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs (1974), and it's amusing, in a messy sort of way. The Lady Snowblood films are still my favorites from that era.

#21559 - 03/11/11 10:36 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Is that Zero Woman of the 1970s or the 1990s? I have Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs (1974), and it's amusing, in a messy sort of way. The Lady Snowblood films are still my favorites from that era.

I suppose I am willing to look at any of it. I will try to start with the earliest ones available.

#21596 - 03/15/11 02:29 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Recently viewed:
Ghost Train has a pretty good premise but doesn't seem to follow through enough. Enjoyable watch anyway. Could have been even creepier.
Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li. I include this because it is based on characters from the Capcom game. Surprisingly well made B film. Somewhat predicable. What impressed me was that it seems to have been mostly shot on location in Bangkok and Hong Kong. Starring Kirsten Kreuk of Smallville fame. She looks convincing as an marshall artist.
Love and Honor. An award winning Japanese film about an unsatisfied samurai that has the job of being one of the lords food tasters. After an incident of tasting an out of season shellfish, he barely survives the toxin but is blinded. A very enjoyable and well made movie.

#21597 - 03/15/11 03:52 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Recently viewed:...Love and Honor. An award winning Japanese film about an unsatisfied samurai that has the job of being one of the lords food tasters. After an incident of tasting an out of season shellfish, he barely survives the toxin but is blinded. A very enjoyable and well made movie.

I've been wanting to check this one out for some time. Looked like a pretty good story and acting from what trailers i've seen. It's nice to hear good marks from someone who's seen it. Now i want to see it more smile

#21618 - 03/19/11 10:10 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: stargates]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Watched Versus. I had seen this one before but had forgotten. I remeber now not liking it very much when I first saw it. I enjoyed it more this time around. I guess that when I saw it a few years ago, I wasn't used to watching Japanese cinema.
Not bad for a low budget action flick. Very gory and interesting premise.
Would recommend for anyone who liked Army of Darkness, though it is not as good.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (03/19/11 10:14 AM)

#21625 - 03/19/11 02:13 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Do you have a disk with behind the scenes extras?
VERY amusing features!

#21667 - 03/22/11 04:08 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Do you have a disk with behind the scenes extras?
VERY amusing features!

I haven't checked the extras yet. I'll do that soon.
Sunday I finished Machine Girl. Whoa. What a load of gory violence. Some of it was funny, some of it was a little hard to watch. None of it was meant to be realistic, just sensational. I do have one question about the kind of Japanese films I've been watching lately. Does nearly everybody have to die?: Just wondering.?confused
Don't watch this film expecting it to be logical or realistic. Just have fun and go with it. Of course with the title and cover art, you shouldn't expect anything but a farce. Another film I would recommend for the fans of Army of Darkness.

#21668 - 03/22/11 04:26 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!

#21724 - 03/26/11 06:30 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Just finished the Yokai Monsters trilogy. Took me a while to get around to it. Entertaining for being made in the late 60's. The Yokai (or spirit beasts, monsters, or whomever you ask) are simple and a little silly. They were well represented in the first film Spook Warfare. Except for the umbrella monster, they didn't make their appearance in the second film 100 Monsters, until nearly the end of the picture. In the third installment (Along With Ghosts) they were reduced to just vengeful spirits without any personality. They had just enough blood, violence and adult themes to avoid being cast as children's movies. The first movie was about The Yokai coming onto conflict with a foreign being that threatens their world. The second two had stories of human drama that showed what happens when you desecrate into the realms of the spirit creatures.

#21851 - 04/09/11 05:33 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Viewed Azumi 1&2. Great movies. Lots of swordplay action that is 90% believable. The main character is ultracute and good at sword Marshall arts. This is one series that makes you wonder what will happen next. Plenty of violence and blood spray. No nudity. Very well made. Will enthusiastically recommend.

#21857 - 04/10/11 04:20 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

The Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock sale gave me a chance to pick up some things I've been wanting awhile.
Baian the Assassin
Delinquent Girl Boss Double Feature
Dogora
Eko Eko Azarak Complete Collection
Female Prisoner 701/Scorpion Triple Feature
Frankenstein Conquers the World

#21868 - 04/11/11 01:46 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Frankenstein Conquers the World

Oh yeah!

#21923 - 04/17/11 12:22 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Just got through Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad and it was...different. It was a little slow in the beginning but as it went on it seemed to smooth out a little bit better i thought. Who would've thunk it. A bikini wearing samurai who teams up with a female gunslinger in a black leather leather outfit and has a double barrel shotgun that doesn't run out of ammo. SWEET! laugh

#21934 - 04/18/11 02:03 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: stargates
Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad

It's the "squad" part that gets me. lol

Originally Posted By: stargates
A bikini wearing samurai...

So, where are the throwing stars carried?

#21960 - 04/19/11 05:51 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Legends of the Poisonous Seductress
1- Female Demon Ohyaku
2- Quick draw Okatsu
3- Okatsu the Fugitive

This is an interesting series of three films from the late 1960's, during the beginning of the "Pinky Violence" period of Japanese films. Similar themed films in the U.S, would be called "sexploitation" movies. Film studios during the 1960's and 70's had to compete with TV. This was true both in the U.S. and in Japan. Studios began making pictures with erotic/grotesque elements (ero-guro). Adults themes and bloody violence was the order of the day. TV standards kept it out of the home, but for the price of a ticket you could see subject matter never made available before. These films were also known as "bad girls" movies with the story taking place during the Meiji era or as a yakuza tale in modern times. The plight of the heroine was nearly always the same. A woman wrongly accused, cursed from birth or ravaged and witnessing the murder of her kin. A common thing said by the woman is "I will have my vengeance even if I need to become a demon". Even though this trilogy of films are known as the Legends of the Poisonous Seductress, the only things they have in common are the female lead actress and the above description of what happens to her character. She plays persons with the same name in the second and third films, but they are not the same character. They are all stand alone stories. Seemingly old-fashioned by today's standards, these films were cutting edge in their time. There were many movies made for this genre depicting female gamblers, girl gang bosses, noble women turned assassin and the like.

These films (as well as the Lady Snowblood movies) have good cinematography with lavish sets and costumes, unlike more modern films of ninjas and assassins that seem to be almost all shot in the woods. Expect lots of blood, sword fights, top knots, government official corruption, PG rated rape scenes, torture scenes and a least one knock down drag out in a brothel per film. I recommend these movies for anyone who is interested in Japan or Japanese cinema depiction of the feudal era.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (04/19/11 07:37 PM)

#21962 - 04/20/11 09:23 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Similar themed films in the U.S, would be called "sexploitation" movies. Film studios during the 1960's and 70's had to compete with TV. This was true both in the U.S. and in Japan. Studios began making pictures with erotic/grotesque elements (ero-guro). Adults themes and bloody violence was the order of the day.

Case in point: Russ Meyer (IMDB). Two of his reported quotes:

"Nothing is obscene, providing it is done in bad taste."

"There can just be a thin edge separating evil and humor."

#22046 - 05/01/11 10:09 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I got Gamera vs. Zigra & Gamera Super Turtle Double feature from Shout Factory.

Pretty fun stuff, especially Super Turtle.

Just curious about something in a Godzilla movie, the movie is Godzilla vs. Megagurius.

In that movie Godzilla fights Megagurius really close to a tower that looks similar to the Space Needle in Seattle. Just curious if this tower is real, or made up for the movie. I tried to look it up, but all I got was Tokyo Tower & The Sky Tree (which does not look like that tower).

#22049 - 05/01/11 04:24 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Scorpion: Prisoner 701 film series
1. Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion
2. Female Convict #701 Scorpion: Jailhouse 41
3. Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion: Beast Stable
4. Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion:Grudge Song

This is another series in the "bad girl" genre of Japanese cinema from the the early 70's. Nami is a woman done wrong by a series of men. She is dragged thought hell but always emerges to get her revenge. She starts out in a woman's prison after she botches an attempt to kill a crooked police detective who sets her up with some yakuza. She soon earns the moniker- Scorpion. Presumably because it sounds scary. She then spends most of her time being hated by everyone who comes into contact with her. She does make friends from time to time along the way, but to even know the Scorpion is almost certainly a death sentence. In each film she is either out as an escapee or escapes from prison. Whether she is in or out of prison doesn't matter, she still gets her revenge. Men in this series of movies are depicted as either sadistic creeps or callus losers. Nami's screen time is mostly without dialog. Who needs to speak when she can give a "go to hell" look that has you packing your bags before you realize what is happening. One thing is for sure, if you ever give her a reason to trust you, don't ever betray her. Even if her enemies are beating you senseless, she will finish the job later.
Films contain lots of adult subject matter. Nudity, blood, violence and rape. The things you couldn't get on your home TV at the time. The stories are very gritty and dreadful, still you will pull for the Scorpion to fulfill her dark desires every time. The films will at times seem to go into a theatric mode with lighting and even makeup. It is as if someone had filmed a stage production. These are very interesting and thrilling pictures. Recommended for those interested in the dark side of Japanese cinema.
Next I have started the Series of made for TV movies- Baian: The Assassin.

#22108 - 05/06/11 10:36 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

So I guess nobody knows about that tower?
Basically it looks like the Space Needle, but it also had a more flying saucer
shaped top.

#22114 - 05/07/11 11:52 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I've been thinking about it and I can't remember. It's been a while since I've seen it. I do know that the modelers for the Godzy films went to great lengths to achieve insane amount of detail on the miniature sets. They took great pride in duplicating actual real life locations for the movies. This was to add realism for the Japanese audience when they recognized places being destroyed. I'm pretty sure if you saw a distinct kind of building, it had a real live counterpart. I googled Japanese towers and got nothing. frown

#22115 - 05/07/11 12:36 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

This is the closest thing I could find, but I'm afraid it isn't tall enough. Every major city in Japan has it's own free standing tower. Which city was it?

http://www.pbase.com/krisada/image/90574001

#22124 - 05/08/11 04:29 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

It was in Tokyo, in the movie there was a secret experiment with "plasma" energy that was drawing Godzilla.

It is near the ocean, cause the whole battle was near the water.

IIRC it also was near the large Ferris wheel as seen in several Godzilla movies/anime (most noticeable in Inuyasha's ending).

#22480 - 05/31/11 12:18 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: ]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Andrew7, I have the original Hong Kong Blu-ray releases of Red Cliff (Parts 1 & 2 are separate), but I have the American release of Sukiyaki Western Django (DVD steelbook set). What problems have you encountered?

#22507 - 06/02/11 11:04 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I just watched "Terror Beneath the Sea" with Sonny Chiba. Whoa, was it a bad movie. Haha. Chiba is a reporter on assignment to witness a new Navy weapon when strange sightings of reptile men occur. The origins of the creatures are discovered to be connected to a very James Bondish villian who never removes his sun glasses. It's up the Chiba, his always screaming girlfriend, an elderly scientist, and the U.S. Navy to save the world. I thought it interesting for a Japanese made film to have such a large western cast. Chiba was the only Japanese main character. The villian, the love interest, scientist and the U.S, Navy of course were all western. Nearly everyone's acting was so over the top. The special effects were typical of the late 60's, early 70's low budget films. Still, I enjoyed watching.

#22528 - 06/05/11 11:16 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Just a small update on the whole tower thing, I guess it was not a real tower. Since the Megagurius movie is set in an alternate version of Tokyo. Even our resident "expert" on Atari's Godzilla Forum said that he thought it was not a real tower. I tried looking at pictures of Odaiba (where most of the battle in the movie happens, and where the tower should be) but all I saw was the Fuji TV building, the big Ferris Wheel, and even a smaller version of The Statue of Liberty (and several shots of that Gundam tower that was there for a while).

#23012 - 06/21/11 01:32 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm super eye-balling Higanjima. The reviews I've seen have been a bit iffy, but it's from the Volcano High director; so I've got high expectations anyhow.

http://www.nipponcinema.com/trailers/higanjima-trailer
If Battle Royale had vampires 0_o

#23060 - 06/22/11 04:03 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Sucker Punch
The Warrior's Way
Witchblade-The Complete (television) Series

I saw Sucker Punch in the theater. My friend and I were both speechless. Both of us said to each other: Wow, that was thought provoking. It's loaded with action and amazing special effects. The cast seems to have a passion for the project that comes through in the film; you know, kind of like the cast of Firefly. I know, I know; don't make Firefly references lightly, but that's how strongly I (we) felt about this picture. Furthermore, the soundtrack is by far the best I've heard in some time (although it's tough to beat the opening theme for Firefly). Each track is perfectly integrated into it's particular scene creating an immersive experience. Some of the actors even perform in the music! Remind you of another cultural facet, oh I don't know... seiyu vocalists. This movie has the heart and soul of a great anime.

#23596 - 07/15/11 12:02 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Bought Returner recently (as noted in the what did you buy thread).
Watched it, and thought it was fun.

#23607 - 07/15/11 10:59 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Returner probably seems more dated now, but I remember loving it when I first saw it.
Better than most of the films it emulated.

#26471 - 09/10/11 01:18 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
oldcharlie55 Offline

Loc: New York
My most recent non-anime purchases were the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. XXI: MST3K vs. Gamera set, The Ultimate Matriz Collection on blu-ray and the Criterion Collection Blu-ray release of Videodrome.

People who complain about some anime dubs should watch the Sandy Frank version of Gamera vs. Guiron to hear what truly horrible dubbing is.

I got Videodrome because of an email from Amazon about lightning deals on some Criterion releases. It still wasn't all that cheap but I'm very pleased with it. The movie looks amazingly good for a low-budget 1983 release and the on-disc extras were actually worth having, and there is a booklet with 3 interesting essays about the film. It was fun to rewatch it now and see how prescient it was about the future of television.

The Matrix collection has all 3 movies and The Animatrix and it was under $30 so I thought it was a good buy even though I already have The Animatrix on DVD.

#26473 - 09/10/11 01:28 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: oldcharlie55]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Prescient... nice! smile I've got that same Criterion Collection edition of Videodrome. It's styled to look like the videotape from the movie that he... well... yeah that movie is messed up. Debbie Harry! TRSI has some Criterion Collection movies for sale. The Criterion Collection website is pretty cool as well. There are a lot of titles!

The "Matrix" set you're referring to is the "4 Film Favorites" line if I'm not mistaken. They're uber affordable. I've also got the "4 Film Favorites" edition of "Blade".

#27244 - 09/22/11 04:56 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Just picked up at the latest comic con:
Seven Samurai
Space Battleship Yamato
Gantz
RoboGeisha
Tokyo Gore Police

Watched Yamato yesterday. It is very good. Great effects. The costumes and the Yamato ship design are the same as the original series. The aliens are very different though. You can really tell they wanted to have the same feel as the movie Armageddon. It even has Steven Tyler singing the ending theme.

#27250 - 09/22/11 05:18 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

For real? In Yamato?

#27869 - 10/04/11 12:41 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Yeah, I would not be surprised if that Yamato movie gets at least a DVD release in the USA.

It was a pretty big story that Steven Tyler was doing the song, sort of similar to the Red Hot Chili Peppers song in the Death Note movies.

BTW did you ever read about that guy on the International Space Station cos-playing as "Derek Wildstar" (Susumu Kodai) and waking people up with the "Sampo" song from My Neighbor Totoro.

#28218 - 10/15/11 11:59 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I hadn't heard about that guy on the International Space Station. Glad I wasn't there. blush
Went nuts with the Godzilla movies yesterday. Watched...
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
Godzilla: Final Wars

Final Wars had the promise of a really cool movie, but tended to far apart in it's construction. Nice effects. Poor script.

#28401 - 10/22/11 12:02 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
I just now bought Seven Samurai (The Criterion Collection) (3 disc release)
To replace my double VHS tape of it (thats only been watched once)

Product Details
Actors: Takashi Shimura, Toshir Mifune, Yoshio Inaba, Seiji Miyaguchi, Minoru Chiaki
Directors: Akira Kurosawa
Format: Box set, DVD, Full Screen, NTSC, Subtitled
the picture has been slightly window-boxed (in correct original 1.33:1 aspect ratio)
to ensure that the maximum image is visible
Language: Japanese (Dolby Digital 1.0), Japanese (Dolby Digital 2.1)
Subtitles: English
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Number of discs: 3
Rated: Unrated
Studio: Criterion
DVD Release Date: September 5, 2006
Run Time: 207 minutes

It also has a couple of Commentaries, Several documentaries and
a lavishly illustrated 58-page booklet, and much more
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315A26S45ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by BWBODDY (10/22/11 12:10 PM)

#28402 - 10/22/11 01:34 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

There's a companion to that set: "Yojimbo/Sanjuro".

#28406 - 10/22/11 04:14 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
There's a companion to that set: "Yojimbo/Sanjuro".

OIC.. I just checked it out, to bad, I swore that Seven Samurai would be the only Non- English Dub Id ever own.
But who knows, when I get around to re-watching Seven Samurai, I may get the hankering for the two companion Movies.

#28437 - 10/24/11 12:00 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

If you dig Toshiro Mifune, Yojimbo/Sanjuro is a must.

#28547 - 10/29/11 01:46 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

What did you think about GMK? (short for Godzilla Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack)?

I liked Final Wars actually, of course I did have the privilage of seeing it in a theatre during the Seattle Film Festival (in Japanese with subs). Don Frye stole the freaking show with his rather cheesy acting. Sure the fights were short, but boy were they awesome while it lasted. I did think them borrowing stuff from The Matrix & Independence Day was a bit silly. It was pretty cool seeing some of the really old Godzilla actors featured so much in this movie.

SOS was a bit weak IMO, they even had to resort to trapping Godzilla in a very similar manner to Godzilla vs. The Thing (Mothra vs. Godzilla).

#28548 - 10/29/11 02:45 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

O.K. I'll admit I've never been a Godzilla fan, but I just watched Godzilla King Of The Monsters for the first time. I believe that it's essentially the original, excepting of course that Raymond Burr's parts were added to the film 2 years after it's original release in 1954. The version I watched (in black and white... sweet) was released in American theaters in 1956 with some other minor changes.

I hadn't realized what an incredible allegory to the nuclear holocaust GKOTM really was, and on so many levels too. It was a very dark movie, so much so that you don't really acknowledge that Godzilla is simply a rubber suit. The imagery and scenery were quite impressive. The Oxygen Destroyer was an allegory in and of itself. The question of...
Click to reveal..
the devastating result of my actions unleashing the evil of my creation into the world could become real versus the fact that my creation could save the world from the very real Godzilla
...was a wonderful and sobering storytelling device. These same symbols of total devastation; which are ofttimes allusions to the very real H bomb, are ever present in anime as well. Have I been missing out on Godzilla all this time?

Oh yeah, that was the first time I've seen the fins on Godzilla's back glow before he fires the blast from his mouth. It was a pretty impressive image against the night sky and devastation of the scene.

#28552 - 10/29/11 03:56 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

You should try to watch the original Gojira, cause even though King of the Monsters does an OK job of conveying the message, the original does it much better.

If you are interested in Godzilla, let me know, I have all of them.
I can point out the ones that are good, the ones that are bad, and the ones that are cheesy.

#28559 - 10/30/11 10:49 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I really liked GMK. It is the kind of kaiju movie I prefer. It had an interesting story with the live action part of the cast. I liked the female journalist character. Also the whole ancient guardian monsters thing added a creepy touch to the film.
I liked them having alumni appearances in SOS. I enjoy seeing familiar faces. Many of Japan's A list actors appeared in their giant monster films. Seeing Mechagozilla in either of his incarnations is always a treat.
Final Wars was a bit weak in the story department. I did enjoy the character of Captain Gordon. It is unusual to see a non-Japanese character in an important role. Still, you could see where it seemed like his character was a last minute write-in. He wasn't that pivotal a role in the story, but he was billed as a hero. I enjoyed his cheesy character just the same. The effects where superb. The quick TKO in Sydney, Australia was so fun to watch. It was obviously the American version of Godzilla he was fighting.

#28604 - 11/01/11 06:53 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
CheechMonger Offline

With the recent TRSI Funimation sale, I went ahead and picked up all of their Shaw Bros. titles under their Hong Kong Connection line:

Bastard Swordsman
The Duel
The 14 Amazons
Hong Kong Godfather
Invincible Shaolin
The Lady Hermit
Life Gamble
Opium & The Kung-Fu Master
Return Of Bastard Swordsman
Shaolin Hand Lock
Shaolin Prince
Shaolin Rescuers
Soul of the Sword
The Supreme Swordsman
The Sword of Swords

I'll make some time this weekend to take in one or two, and reminisce to those times years ago watching 'Fists of Fury Theater'.

#28844 - 11/16/11 12:06 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Just got Destroy All Monsters, the new release from Media Blasters.
They had it at my local FYE for $14.99, if you don't want to order this online check at your local store.

#29049 - 11/27/11 01:44 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I ordered Godzilla vs. Megalon along with some anime from Deep Discount, since that sale they are having is nuts.

#29857 - 12/13/11 07:51 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
oldcharlie55 Offline

I ordered the "Vengeance Trilogy" (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeanced, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance) on Blu-Ray for $19.99 + $2.99 shipping from an Amazon vendor. I own the first film on DVD and enjoyed it so I decided to get this. I also ordered Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 from Amazon; this is the second of four films in a series, for some reason when Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters did a box set they left this one out.

And while it's not exactly Asian entertainment I did order Mystery Science Theater Vol. XXII which includes 2 of the Sandy Frank Japanese imports done in season 3: Time of the Apes and Mighty Jack.

#29866 - 12/13/11 11:12 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: oldcharlie55]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: oldcharlie55
I also ordered Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 from Amazon; this is the second of four films in a series, for some reason when Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters did a box set they left this one out.
I've got one called Female Prisoner Sigma.

#29872 - 12/14/11 12:02 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
oldcharlie55 Offline

Originally Posted By: oldcharlie55
I also ordered Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 from Amazon; this is the second of four films in a series, for some reason when Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters did a box set they left this one out.
I've got one called Female Prisoner Sigma.

I forgot, I just got that one from Right Stuf, it was on the Weekly Specials for $3.99. It's not part of the other series which featured Meiko Kaji (of "Lady Snowblood" fame), but I figured it was worth checking out at that price.

#29937 - 12/15/11 11:33 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I have all the Female Prisoner Scorpion films. A very interesting series. The outfit she wore with the long coat and large brimmed hat has become iconic of a female assasin look.
Have two Godzy films on the way.
Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus: The G Annihilation Strategy
Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla

#30777 - 01/01/12 02:25 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

On the way now:
Godzilla vs King Kong
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah / Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth
(double feature box set)
Godzilla Vs Hedorah
For some bizarre reason Godzilla vs the Sea Monster is going for $40 and Godzilla vs Gigan is $22. Used.eek
As soon as I get those two (hopefully at a decent price) I will have all of Godzy. Then I can concentrate on finishing my Gamera collection. smile

#31729 - 01/26/12 09:55 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Watched Son of Godzilla yesterday. A real puff piece in the Godzilla collection. Baby Godzy (Minilla) is an odd thing. They really didn't think too much about how the face looks. I guess by this time they were catering to the children. After he hatches, the three giant Mantis surround him to see who goes first. It makes sense that they all want to eat him because they are all giant monsters and Minilla is the biggest thing on the island on the menu. It was very humorous to see Minilla lying prone on the ground looking like bloated road kill on the side of the highway.smile I made note of all the different animal noises used in the film. A braying mule, dog and cat sounds.
In the scene where Godzy is trying to take a nap and his tail swishes back and forth like a cats I thought, "Aw shucks, how cute. He's just a big green kitty." laugh

#33159 - 02/24/12 09:09 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
oldcharlie55 Offline

I added some live-action stuff to 2 recent anime orders to get free shipping.

Last week I pre-ordered Battle Royale Blu-Ray Complete Collection...which reminds me I should start reading the manga.

Last night I ordered War in Space. I was going to order earlier in the week but I saved a few dollars by procrastinating as it came up yesterday in the weekly specials. Now if someone would only release The Human Vapor on DVD...

#33929 - 03/06/12 04:30 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Finally watched Battle Heater. It is a dark comedy about a young junkman who picks up a cursed kotatsu heater. It is full of wacky characters and I actually had a few laugh out loud moments while watching it.
You have an old school house turned apartment building with a suicidal elderly couple, punk rock band wanabes, an overbearing housewife trying to dispose of her husband's body, a totally inept repairman with strange religious habits and a rampaging table heater with a thrust for electrity and human flesh. There's also a small love story thrown in. Fun stuff.\

Also veiwed H-Man. A light little anti-nuclear weapon story about people melting into a new life form after being exposed to radiation from a H-bomb test. Then the melted people slim around looking for more victims. The best part of this film is seeing the architecture, fashion and cars of the early 60's Japan all in vivid color. Nice. I saw several actors I recognized from other films such as the Godzilla franchise.

#33942 - 03/06/12 10:02 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Nambu Hakase Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Finally watched Battle Heater. It is a dark comedy about a young junkman who picks up a cursed kotatsu heater. It is full of wacky characters and I actually had a few laugh out loud moments while watching it.
You have an old school house turned apartment building with a suicidal elderly couple, punk rock band wanabes, an overbearing housewife trying to dispose of her husband's body, a totally inept repairman with strange religious habits and a rampaging table heater with a thrust for electrity and human flesh. There's also a small love story thrown in. Fun stuff.\

Sounds bad enough to be good.

#33965 - 03/07/12 09:36 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Nambu Hakase]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

That description also sounds a tad like the vibe of Kung Fu Hustle.

#33966 - 03/07/12 09:37 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Love for Kung Fu Hustle! Woot woot!

#33971 - 03/07/12 10:04 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Love Stephen Chow movies. Shaolin Soccer being my favorite.

#35416 - 03/27/12 07:50 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Mushi-Shi The Movie

#35676 - 04/02/12 07:39 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
CheechMonger Offline

I picked up two Dragon Dynasty collections at Wal-Mart today:

Dragon Dynasty's Ultimate Kung Fu 4pk Box Set - Includes the films Martial Arts of Shaolin, Executioners From Shaolin, Five Shaolin Masters, Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Dragon Dynasty Double Feature #2 - Includes the fims Golden Swallow (The Girl With The Thunderbolt Kick), Killer Clans

Interesting thing about the Double Feature #2; according to both Amazon and Walmart.com, it isn't even supposed to be released until April 24th. Somehow it made it out onto the shelves three weeks early. For $5.00 it's a steal. No sign of the first double feature set (which is supposed to include The Avenging Eagle and Blood Brothers).

Edited by CheechMonger (04/03/12 11:16 AM)

#35896 - 04/07/12 04:24 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Does that mean you have all of them on DVD, or is it a mix?

Cause to this day both Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante are not on DVD in the US.

Also Megalon is not as well, though there were several boot-leg quality versions (made by legit companies), as well as the very rare MST3K version.

Though that drought will end in September of this year, when Media Blasters branch Tokyo Shock will finally get to do a bare-bones edition. Of course it still will come widescreen & have both the dubbed version as well as the Japanese version (which will be the first time that edition will be on DVD in the US).

They are hoping that eventually they will do a full fledged release, after Toho gives them the OK to do so.

The annoying thing about both Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante is that even Toho is kinda unsure who has the licenses currently.

Since New World Pictures went kaput, Anchor Bay said they had G85, but some legal thing is mucking up the works. As for Biollante Mirimax has it, but they are a part of Disney now, so I kinda doubt it would get put out by them.

Not sure how much longer the licenses go, but hopefully by the time the Legendary Pictures Godzilla movie comes out (2013 more likely, maybe even 2014) there will be a renewed interest to put out better versions of several Godzilla movies including the ones not on a recent format.

#35909 - 04/07/12 02:55 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
CheechMonger Offline

I picked up Battle of the Warriors (a.k.a. Battle of Wits) yesterday at Wally World. I've been meaning to get it for awhile now, but never got around to it. Plus being marked $5.00 was incentive enough to finally get it. Plus I think it's one of the last Dragon Dynasty releases with a commentary track by Bey Logan, which I've enjoyed on teir other titles. Their more recent releases (including the Shaw Brothers titles I picked up earlier) have no extras at all; a far cry from their initial releases that were jammed with extras. At least I have the films, which is certainly a plus!

I also got the Icons of Sci-Fi Toho Collection, which includes The H-Man, Battle in Outer Space and Mothra. I've seen the latter two titles, but I can't say that I've ever seen The H-Man, so that will be interesting to check out. The only downside that I can see to this collection is that it comes in a stackpak frown It came in a regular case, so I thought it was a lite box at first. Somewhat disappointing, but I may have to invest in some alternate cases to replace this!

#35931 - 04/08/12 02:58 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I used one of the ones from Mr BWBoddy to switch that particular set.

As for The H-Man it's pretty good.

Of course if you like Godzilla movies, you will see several actors/actresses from those movies in this (since Toho loved to use several of them in other movies).

#36016 - 04/10/12 01:04 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Originally Posted By: EricDent
Does that mean you have all of them on DVD, or is it a mix?

Cause to this day both Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante are not on DVD in the US.

Also Megalon is not as well, though there were several boot-leg quality versions (made by legit companies), as well as the very rare MST3K version.

I have copies of these three. Some are copies of foreign releases with the English dub. Not great, but decent copies. I too hope that someday soon these final films will get a release in this country.

The only ones I am missing are Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster and Godzilla vs. Gigan. They are going for big bucks online right now. They are cheap if you live in England. mad

#36259 - 04/15/12 02:20 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Nambu Hakase Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Just ordered Lie to Me with Yoon Eun Hye. Why isn't there a drool icon when you need one?

#36457 - 04/19/12 09:40 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Purchased and watched Takashi Miike's Osaka Tough Guys. Pretty goofy movie with a low budget. One of his early films. Not great. Certainly a few hints of style as to what Miike would some day grow to be. Not really recommended.

Next up is The Way To Fight & then later Scrap Heaven.

#36477 - 04/19/12 04:35 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Finally got around to veiwing the Delinquent Girl Bosses box set. It has two feature films from the early 70's exploitation days of Japanese cinema. I hated everything about the 1970's (except for Star Wars, John Wayne and the James Bond films) but the Japanese make it look like it would have been a fun time to work in cinema.

First was Delinquent Girl Boss. This was the better of the two and starred Reiko Oshida as the title character. She is a troubled youth fresh out of a delinquent school for girls who can't seem to get a break at going straight when she runs into a group of other graduates. Intanglements with the Yakuza of course happen. The film then takes a detour into the life of another character played by Junko Miyazono. Miyazono is best known for her work in the Tales of the Poisonous Seductress trilogy and Lady Snowblood. The second and third of the Seductress movies also co-starred Reiko Oshida who played a different character in each film.

The second film was Girl Boss Revenge: Sukeban. This story also depicts girl gang members only they are escaping custody. They are brought together under the leadership of the toughest girl who was a Sukeban. She soon butts heads with the town's old Sukeban who returns from an extended absence. This film then also deviates from the establish title character to be the story of the second girl.

Both films depicts the formula of gang sisterhood, the evil Yakuza and their mistreatment of women and the revenge the young women must enact. There is also the element of the tragic romance that continues to go badly and can the woman forgive the terrible transgression that comes between them.
Very adult subject matter with lots of violence and nudity. These movies along with others of their type was in response to the hold TV had on the Japanese audience of the time. Studios had to look to gritty subject matter loosely dubbed "Pinky Violence" to get people back into the theaters.

#36501 - 04/20/12 01:35 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Way to Fight was a nice slice of life film. Not great, but certainly pleasant.

#36594 - 04/21/12 10:39 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Although not Asian exploitation cinema, have you ever seen Switchblade Sisters?

#36617 - 04/22/12 01:18 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Switchblade Sisters is a crazy movie. I am still not sure if that is a good or bad thing though.

#36648 - 04/22/12 04:44 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Although not Asian exploitation cinema, have you ever seen Switchblade Sisters?

I haven't seen that one yet.

#36649 - 04/22/12 05:37 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Cheap One]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Definitely filed under: so bad that it's good.

#36650 - 04/22/12 05:38 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

It's one of Quentin Tarantino's faces under the Rolling Thunder Pictures label.

#36978 - 04/30/12 12:11 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Today I watched Yakuza Weapon. Basically Tak Sakaguchi's take on the whole Robocop, Machine Girl, Hard Revenge Milly subgenre of violent action exploitation films that have been popular lately. This one was certainly not the best of the bunch, hell, I'd go so far as to say that one of the special features (a spin off short film) was more entertaining than the main feature. I love Tak & will watch anything with him. His charisma makes the film. Everything else just sort of dragged on a bit longer than necessary. By the time the credits rolled, I'd kinda wished it had ended earlier on. Check this out if you want to watch something goofy and way over the top in action.

#39053 - 06/19/12 09:28 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Azumi
Versus Ultimate Edition
Chocolate

#39276 - 06/28/12 12:21 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

The Hypnotist
Onechanbara

#39284 - 06/28/12 03:44 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I've got Onechanbara and Oppai Chanbara. I played the Nintendo Wii Onechabara extensively... to a fault. There was nothing that I didn't accomplish in it.

#39292 - 06/28/12 09:25 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Kiku you played that? You poor man.

#39294 - 06/28/12 09:38 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Cheap One]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I didn'y just play it, I mastered it. cool

#39922 - 07/15/12 05:20 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Pre-ordered (again since it's a lot closer now) Godzilla Vs Megalon on the A site (had $2 left from a gift card so was only $15).

Hopefully this time they don't push it back or just cancel it.

#40249 - 07/25/12 03:12 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
CheechMonger Offline

I picked up a copy of Black Dragon (Jackie Chan) at Big Lots today, the only DVD there that I saw that was interesting.

#40251 - 07/25/12 03:15 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Does Big Lots carry anime? I've never been to one, although there is one about an hour from where I live.

#40256 - 07/25/12 04:09 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
CheechMonger Offline

Does Big Lots carry anime? I've never been to one, although there is one about an hour from where I live.

They used to, but not so much anymore. When companies were doing singles, primarily Bandai and Funimation, their singles would appear quite frequently at Big Lots, usually when they came out with collections.

I recently saw a copy of Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis. It was $3 so I picked up a copy as I didn't have it. The only other anime titles that I've seen recently were Memories and The Animatrix.

Animation wise, the only other notable title that I saw was Ben 10. My local Big Lots had a couple different ones, but I'm not that big of a fan of the show to collect it. That said, you never know what they'll have, which is why I stop there about once a month, so I find it worth checking out.

#40266 - 07/25/12 08:07 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Cool, thanks. It might be worth it for me to stop in there the next time I'm around that neck o' the woods.

#40302 - 07/26/12 06:45 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Oneechanbara
The Hypnotist

The first one is pretty bad. Not as bad as Tokyo Gore Police. The second I haven't gotten to yet.

#40309 - 07/26/12 08:52 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Oneechanbara
The first one is pretty bad. Not as bad as Tokyo Gore Police

The video game it is based on is horrible. Poor thing didn't stand a chance. Horrible game and then the fate of all video game movies being bad thrown on top of it.

#40314 - 07/26/12 10:23 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Cheap One]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loved 'em both... well the movie was pretty bad, but I destroyed the game; so It made me dig the movie. Now Oppaichanbara, that was bad; but I got that one too.

#40510 - 08/02/12 04:12 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Just watched 1911 with Jackie Chan. Kind of hard to watch as it jumped around a lot. The last couple of Chinese productions I've seen had great production standards. The art direction is amazing. Costumes and sets were fantastic and the cinematography was beautiful. Problem is that the scripts sucked so bad. Actors portraying Westerners seem to always be terrible actors. I mean worse than "High School play" actors.

It was a Communist propaganda piece about a populist uprising in the year 1911. A historic piece. Great I thought. Sigh, I was so disappointed. China will not allow any filming of a movie taking place in the past one hundred years anymore that isn't pro-Communist. They over use the word revolution and at the end actually have a text blurb claiming the revolt was a precursor to the Communist takeover. Sheez.

#48103 - 02/09/13 09:48 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
CheechMonger Offline

I picked up the most recent releases from Dragon Dynasty:

Outlaw Brothers
A Chinese Odyssey 1&2

They both look pretty interesting. They are also both bare bones releases, no extras of any kind (except for trailers for Fist of Legend and The Killer which play at the beginning and can be skipped). I miss how DD used to load up the discs with extras, but it's good to at least have the films to watch.

#48466 - 02/17/13 09:10 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
oldcharlie55 Offline

I picked up a copy of Super Infra-man from Amazon. It's a cheesy Hong Kong Ultra-man ripoff (released here with a real bad English dub as Infra-Man). This DVD has the original Mandarin version with subtitles and the old English dub (in mono).

#51848 - 05/09/13 06:46 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
CheechMonger Offline

I stopped by Big Lots on my way home from work tonight and found a couple good deals on DVDs:

Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen (Donnie Yen)
Let the Bullets Fly (Chow Yun-Fat)
Little Big Soldier (Jackie Chan)
Shaolin (Andy Lau, Nicholas Tse, Jackie Chan)

They also had quite a few Dragon Dynasty titles for $3 a piece. I already had them all, but if anyone is looking for them, they're priced right. I saw King Boxer, My Young Auntie, Dragon Heat, Fists of Legend, The Rebel, Robin B-Hood, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, The Enforcer, Protege and Born to Fight.

#54583 - 07/09/13 06:53 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Azumi 2 Death Or Love

#54846 - 07/16/13 03:42 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Blood: The Last Vampire (Live Action)

#54854 - 07/16/13 09:51 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Blood: The Last Vampire (Live Action)

I've got that one and I really liked it.
It's got some really good behind the scene extra features

#54864 - 07/16/13 04:09 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Cool. I've got the original anime and soundtrack, not to mention Blood-C. Oddly enough, Blood-C The Last Dark just went up for preorder; charmed life. Now if only Blood+ would get rereleased.

#54947 - 07/18/13 12:15 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Grotesque DVD/Blu-ray Combo Pack

#55448 - 07/30/13 02:33 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

#55453 - 07/30/13 03:23 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Is this a repurchase? If not, have you at least seen it before?

#55459 - 07/30/13 04:30 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Cheap One]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

But of course! I had it on VHS. I just got around to picking up the DVD.

#55662 - 08/03/13 01:32 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Zombie A?? Toilet Of The Dead

#56048 - 08/13/13 12:33 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
t-Roy Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Lancaster County, PA
Cool. Now if only Blood+ would get rereleased.

+1. Blood+ is one of my all-time favorite anime series!

My recently purchased Asian live-action Blu-rays:

Flying Swords of Dragongate 3D
Assassin's Blade
Sorcerer and the White Snake
The Assassins
The Four
Tai Chi Zero
Tai Chi Hero
Painted Skin: The Ressurection
Curse of the Golden Flower
The Thieves

#56051 - 08/13/13 12:47 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: t-Roy]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: t-Roy

This is a crazy movie. If you haven't seen it before, I look forward to your reaction to this one.

#56057 - 08/13/13 08:06 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Cheap One]
t-Roy Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Cheap One

This is a crazy movie. If you haven't seen it before, I look forward to your reaction to this one.

Well, I already viewed all of these except The Assassins... Believe it or not, my 70 year old mother loves epic Chinese period movies and all these wuxia/martial arts movies, she's watched them all with me - and by far she said Curse of the Golden Flower was her favorite yet. She loves all the opulence in the palace... I very much enjoyed it as well, and it does get pretty crazy at the end!

The Assassins I had to re-purchase - bought a copy back in January when it released, but didn't open it until a few weeks ago to watch it - and the disc was bad, did not play in my Oppo or the BD drive in my PC... and it had been too long to return it. I contacted Well Go about a replacement and never heard back from them either. So I haven't had a chance to watch it yet - and that one even has my favorite Asian-babe in it - Liu Yi Fei...

#57294 - 09/12/13 08:45 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Lust Of The Dead
Parasite Doctor Suzune: Genesis

#57897 - 09/27/13 09:10 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
Eclipse 37: When Horror Came to Shochiku [ The X From Outer Space; Goke, The Body Snatcher From Hell; The Living Skeleton; Genocide (Criterion Collection)]

#59174 - 10/26/13 09:46 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
CheechMonger Offline

Lust Of The Dead

They looked intriguing when I saw them on Amazon. Are they any good?

#59175 - 10/26/13 10:03 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
CheechMonger Offline

I picked these up on Right Stuf's Amazon store:

A Fistful of Fuku
Art of the Gun Triple Feature: Black Angel/Black Angel 2/Pistol Opera
Karate Girl
Gun Crazy Double Feature (Requiem for a Bodyguard/Traitor's Rhapsody)

#59176 - 10/26/13 10:44 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: CheechMonger
Lust Of The Dead

They looked intriguing when I saw them on Amazon. Are they any good?
I haven't received them yet. BTW I'm kinda curious about Fistful of Fuku. I'd love to hear about once you've watched it.

#60000 - 11/13/13 04:09 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Lust Of The Dead 2

#62434 - 12/28/13 02:00 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Tropical Malady
The Iron Ladies

#63216 - 01/11/14 08:00 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: sevi]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Dororo
Dorm

#64680 - 02/10/14 12:59 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
GuilewasNK Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Virginia
I bought Come Drink With Me last week.

2437 discs and counting... http://guilewasnk.filmaf.com/owned/anime

#65064 - 02/18/14 11:19 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: GuilewasNK]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Pre-ordered Smuggler Live Action

#65207 - 02/21/14 09:21 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Lust Of The Dead 3

#66073 - 03/13/14 09:51 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

There is a Parasite Doctor Suzune Genesis preview up on Vimeo, although I didn't see one for Evolution.

#66855 - 03/30/14 11:01 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
t-Roy Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Just picked up the Vietnamese live action martial-arts/Wuxia movie "Sword of the Assassin (Blood Letter)" for only $12 on Blu-ray at BB on Friday... Supposed to be really good, here's what IMDB says:

"Known in its native Vietnam as Thin Menh Anh Hng (aka Blood Letter), the film is recorded as one of the most expensive films done in Vietnamese film history, and is the first Wuxia to come out of the country. Good action throughout and always helps that the cinematography is dripping gorgeousness."

Here's a pretty awesome trailer for it:

Sword of the Assassin(S) Trailer HD

Note: The US release has no English dub - Vietnamese with English subs only...

#66871 - 03/30/14 10:12 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: t-Roy]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Note: The US release has no English dub - Vietnamese with English subs only...

As are most good asian films. Dubbing live action never turns out go. Looking at you FUNimation with your silly dubs on live action Korean films.

#68023 - 04/24/14 09:22 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Cheap One]
CheechMonger Offline

Angela Mao Ying double feature:

Hapkido
Lady Whirlwind

#68372 - 05/03/14 01:47 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Got Space Battleship Yamato at work.
I used their internet price match since with my discount it was more than Amazon.

#68469 - 05/06/14 01:09 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
t-Roy Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: EricDent
Got Space Battleship Yamato at work.
I used their internet price match since with my discount it was more than Amazon.

Yeah, I got my $9.99 copy of Yamato too, this past week - I really only bought it because it was so cheap - it has the typical awkward acting/script, and I definitely did not like the way it ended - the anime was 100 times better than this movie... to me it's pretty much a similar comparison of The Last Airbender movie to the Avatar: The Last Airbender animated series - the anime rocked, the movie was lousy... smirk

#70896 - 06/18/14 07:46 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: t-Roy]
CheechMonger Offline

100 Greatest Martial Arts Classics

This is actually packaging together of two Mill Creek collections: a new one called Iron Fist Frenzy, and a previous set called Martial Arts 50 Pack. Most of these movies have been packaged and repackaged several times. Some I already have, many I don't, so it's nice to have them all in one place. I'd hardly call them "classics" but there's some definitely worth watching. Here's the list of what is included:

Big Boss 2
The Big Fight
Black Cobra
Black Cobra 2
Black Cobra 3
Black Fist
The Black Godfather
Blind Warrior
The Brave Lion
Bravest Fist
Breakout from Oppression
Bruce: King of Kung Fu
Bruce vs. Iron Hand
The Cavalier
The Challenger
Chase Step by Step
City Ninja
Crane Fighter
Crazy Couple
Crazy Horse, Intelligent Monkey
Day of the Panther
Deadly Duo
Drunken Tai Chi
Dynamite Shaolin Heroes
Enter the Game of Death
18 Fatal Strikes
18 Shaolin Riders
Fighting Mad
Fist From Shaolin
5 Kung Fu Daredevil Heroes
Five Pattern Dragon Claws
Four Robbers
Four Shaolin Challengers
Great Hunter
The Guy from Harlem
The Guy with the Secret Kung Fu
Hands of Death
The Head Hunter
Heroes of Shaolin Part 1
Heroes of Shaolin Part 2
Heroes Tears
Image of Bruce Lee
The Impossible Kid
Infernal Street
Jive Turkey
Karate Kids USA
Kingfisher the Killer
Kung Fu Arts
Kung Fu Genius
Kung Fu Kids Break Away
Kung Fu Warrior
The Magnificent
Mantis Under Falcons Claws
Marvelous Stunts of Kung Fu
The Master: Max
The Master: Out of Time Step
Mighty 4
Mission for the Dragon
Ninja Avenger
Ninja Champion
Ninja Death I
Ninja Death II
Ninja Death III
Nine Deaths of the Ninja
Ninja Empire
Ninja Fists Of Fire
Ninja Heat
Ninja: The Protector
Phantom Kung Fu
Rage of Wind
The Real Bruce Lee
Rebel Of Shaolin
Return of the Kung Fu Dragon
Return of the Red Tiger
Return of the Street Fighter
Ring of Death
Scorpion
7 Steps Of Kung Fu
Shadow Ninja
Shaolin Brothers
Shaolin Deadly Kicks
Shaolin Death Squad
Shaolin Invincible Guys
Shaolin Kung Fu
Shaolin Super Dragon
Shaolin Temple
Showdown at the Equator
Snake Fist Dynamo
The Snake, The Tiger, The Crane
Spirits of Bruce Lee
Stranger from Shaolin
The Street Fighter
Tai Chi Shadow Boxing
Tiger At The Top
Tiger Love
TNT Jackson
Triple Impact
Weapons of Death
Woman Avenger
Wu Tang Magic Kick

#70922 - 06/18/14 10:03 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
t-Roy Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

What? No Kung Fu Hustle or Shaolin Soccer?!?! Lol... grin

#70939 - 06/19/14 07:38 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: t-Roy]
CheechMonger Offline

What? No Kung Fu Hustle or Shaolin Soccer?!?! Lol... grin

They aren't that classic LOL

But for the price, it's hard to beat with the number of films. But you also get what you pay for: about four films per disc, no remastering, and most that I've looked at appear to taken from VHS sources. But the films are still fun! I watched one last night (The Cavalier) and it was quite enjoyable.

#71906 - 07/08/14 10:48 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: CheechMonger]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Rigor Mortis

#72209 - 07/16/14 12:56 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Eko Eko Azarak 3 Disc Complete Collection (Used)
The Host 2 Disc Collector's Edition (Used)

#72410 - 07/20/14 04:06 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
CheechMonger Offline

Picked up some martial arts films on eBay:

Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre
The Sentimental Swordsman
Return of the Sentimental Swordsman
The Victim
The Warrior from Shaolin

#72885 - 07/30/14 11:14 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
GuilewasNK Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Virginia
I got Shanghai Express last week.

Love me some Cynthia Rothrock.

2437 discs and counting... http://guilewasnk.filmaf.com/owned/anime

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.